Jul 19, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
New Jersey ended its lengthy search for a new assistant coach on Friday, announcing the hiring of former NHLer Mike Foligno.
Foligno, 54, spent 15 years in the NHL with Detroit, Buffalo, Toronto and Florida before transitioning to coaching.
He’s been an assistant at both the NHL (with Anaheim, Colorado and Toronto) and AHL (with Chicago, St. John’s and Hershey) levels, and a head coach for seven years with OHL Sudbury.
In Sudbury, Foligno coached both his sons, Nick and Marcus, who now play for the Columbus Blue Jackets and Buffalo Sabres, respectively.
Earlier this week, Devils head coach Peter DeBoer said the club was looking for an ex-player with coaching experience to take the assistant’s gig and in Foligno, he’s found exactly that.
Foligno will now work alongside Dave Barr, Scott Stevens and Chris Terreri on DeBoer’s staff, replacing former assistant Matt Shaw, who left the Devils to take a head coach/GM gig with USHL Dubuque.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (82)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)