Jul 19, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Caron, 22, was Boston’s first-round pick (25th overall) at the 2009 Entry Draft, but has yet to emerge as a full-time contributor at the NHL level.
His best season came in 2011-12, when he posted career highs across the board — games (48), goals (seven), points (15) — making his postseason debut in the process.
This year, though, Caron appeared to take a step back.
He dressed for just 17 regular-season contests, scoring once, and didn’t play a single game for the Bruins in the playoffs.
As such, Caron took a sizable pay cut — he was making $1.1 million annually on his entry-level contract — and it looks as though GM Peter Chiarelli engineer a “prove-it” deal with Caron, much like he did with Tuukka Rask.
Rask, you’ll recall, was signed last summer to a one-year, $3.5 million extension, designed for him to show the Bruins he was capable of being the club’s full-time No. 1 netminder.
The Finn did that and more, backstopping the Bruins to the Stanley Cup Final. His reward? An eight-year, $56 million contract signed last week.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 8
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 35
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)