Jul 19, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Caron, 22, was Boston’s first-round pick (25th overall) at the 2009 Entry Draft, but has yet to emerge as a full-time contributor at the NHL level.
His best season came in 2011-12, when he posted career highs across the board — games (48), goals (seven), points (15) — making his postseason debut in the process.
This year, though, Caron appeared to take a step back.
He dressed for just 17 regular-season contests, scoring once, and didn’t play a single game for the Bruins in the playoffs.
As such, Caron took a sizable pay cut — he was making $1.1 million annually on his entry-level contract — and it looks as though GM Peter Chiarelli engineer a “prove-it” deal with Caron, much like he did with Tuukka Rask.
Rask, you’ll recall, was signed last summer to a one-year, $3.5 million extension, designed for him to show the Bruins he was capable of being the club’s full-time No. 1 netminder.
The Finn did that and more, backstopping the Bruins to the Stanley Cup Final. His reward? An eight-year, $56 million contract signed last week.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)