Jul 19, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Caron, 22, was Boston’s first-round pick (25th overall) at the 2009 Entry Draft, but has yet to emerge as a full-time contributor at the NHL level.
His best season came in 2011-12, when he posted career highs across the board — games (48), goals (seven), points (15) — making his postseason debut in the process.
This year, though, Caron appeared to take a step back.
He dressed for just 17 regular-season contests, scoring once, and didn’t play a single game for the Bruins in the playoffs.
As such, Caron took a sizable pay cut — he was making $1.1 million annually on his entry-level contract — and it looks as though GM Peter Chiarelli engineer a “prove-it” deal with Caron, much like he did with Tuukka Rask.
Rask, you’ll recall, was signed last summer to a one-year, $3.5 million extension, designed for him to show the Bruins he was capable of being the club’s full-time No. 1 netminder.
The Finn did that and more, backstopping the Bruins to the Stanley Cup Final. His reward? An eight-year, $56 million contract signed last week.
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 27
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 50
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 21
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 11
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 98
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 40
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Cooke to play 1,000th game tomorrow (56)