Jul 19, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues locked up another key restricted free agent on Friday, agreeing to terms with forward Chris Stewart on a two-year, $8.3 million deal.
The deal will carry an average annual cap hit of $4.15 million. According to CBC’s Tim Wharnsby, Stewart will be paid $4.1 million next year and $4.2 million in 2014-15.
The 25-year-old power forward led St. Louis in scoring last year with 36 points in 48 games, and was slated to kick off the arbitration period with a hearing on July 22.
His last contract, a one-year deal, paid him $3 million.
As mentioned above, Stewart is the latest in a series of St. Louis RFAs to ink this summer.
The procession began with Patrik Berglund, who agreed to a one-year, $3.25 million deal in late June, then continued with defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk, who signed a four-year, $17 million extension shortly thereafter.
The Blues’ other key RFA is, of course, defenseman Alex Pietrangelo. Unlike Stewart, the 23-year-old blueliner does not have arbitration rights, so that deal could take a bit longer.
Last week, St. Louis GM Doug Armstrong made a move to clear up some cap space by dealing winger David Perron to Edmonton for Magnus Paajarvi.
Perron was set to make $3.8 million next season while Paajarvi is still a RFA, and has yet to reach a new deal with the Blues — and, after the Stewart signing, the Blues now have roughly $8 million in available cap space for 2013-14.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)