Jul 19, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues locked up another key restricted free agent on Friday, agreeing to terms with forward Chris Stewart on a two-year, $8.3 million deal.
The deal will carry an average annual cap hit of $4.15 million. According to CBC’s Tim Wharnsby, Stewart will be paid $4.1 million next year and $4.2 million in 2014-15.
The 25-year-old power forward led St. Louis in scoring last year with 36 points in 48 games, and was slated to kick off the arbitration period with a hearing on July 22.
His last contract, a one-year deal, paid him $3 million.
As mentioned above, Stewart is the latest in a series of St. Louis RFAs to ink this summer.
The procession began with Patrik Berglund, who agreed to a one-year, $3.25 million deal in late June, then continued with defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk, who signed a four-year, $17 million extension shortly thereafter.
The Blues’ other key RFA is, of course, defenseman Alex Pietrangelo. Unlike Stewart, the 23-year-old blueliner does not have arbitration rights, so that deal could take a bit longer.
Last week, St. Louis GM Doug Armstrong made a move to clear up some cap space by dealing winger David Perron to Edmonton for Magnus Paajarvi.
Perron was set to make $3.8 million next season while Paajarvi is still a RFA, and has yet to reach a new deal with the Blues — and, after the Stewart signing, the Blues now have roughly $8 million in available cap space for 2013-14.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)