Jul 18, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
Blake will make the move from the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, where he’s been since January of 2010 and where he worked with the league’s chief disciplinarian, Brendan Shanahan.
The former Kings captain and defenseman will replace Ron Hextall, who left L.A. to take the assistant GM position in Philadelphia.
According to the press release, Blake will assist Kings general manager Dean Lombardi in “all facets of” the club’s hockey operations, “including contract negotiations, player personnel and overseeing the organization’s top prospects.”
Blake will also oversee the Manchester Monarchs while serving as general manager of the AHL affiliate.
Here’s Lombardi on the hiring:
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 7
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 6
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 38
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (39)