Jul 18, 2013, 12:56 PM EST
Blake will make the move from the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, where he’s been since January of 2010 and where he worked with the league’s chief disciplinarian, Brendan Shanahan.
The former Kings captain and defenseman will replace Ron Hextall, who left L.A. to take the assistant GM position in Philadelphia.
According to the press release, Blake will assist Kings general manager Dean Lombardi in “all facets of” the club’s hockey operations, “including contract negotiations, player personnel and overseeing the organization’s top prospects.”
Blake will also oversee the Manchester Monarchs while serving as general manager of the AHL affiliate.
Here’s Lombardi on the hiring:
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)