Jul 18, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
Blake will make the move from the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, where he’s been since January of 2010 and where he worked with the league’s chief disciplinarian, Brendan Shanahan.
The former Kings captain and defenseman will replace Ron Hextall, who left L.A. to take the assistant GM position in Philadelphia.
According to the press release, Blake will assist Kings general manager Dean Lombardi in “all facets of” the club’s hockey operations, “including contract negotiations, player personnel and overseeing the organization’s top prospects.”
Blake will also oversee the Manchester Monarchs while serving as general manager of the AHL affiliate.
Here’s Lombardi on the hiring:
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)