Jul 18, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
Blake will make the move from the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, where he’s been since January of 2010 and where he worked with the league’s chief disciplinarian, Brendan Shanahan.
The former Kings captain and defenseman will replace Ron Hextall, who left L.A. to take the assistant GM position in Philadelphia.
According to the press release, Blake will assist Kings general manager Dean Lombardi in “all facets of” the club’s hockey operations, “including contract negotiations, player personnel and overseeing the organization’s top prospects.”
Blake will also oversee the Manchester Monarchs while serving as general manager of the AHL affiliate.
Here’s Lombardi on the hiring:
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 0
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 13
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 20
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12