Jul 18, 2013, 12:56 PM EST
Blake will make the move from the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, where he’s been since January of 2010 and where he worked with the league’s chief disciplinarian, Brendan Shanahan.
The former Kings captain and defenseman will replace Ron Hextall, who left L.A. to take the assistant GM position in Philadelphia.
According to the press release, Blake will assist Kings general manager Dean Lombardi in “all facets of” the club’s hockey operations, “including contract negotiations, player personnel and overseeing the organization’s top prospects.”
Blake will also oversee the Manchester Monarchs while serving as general manager of the AHL affiliate.
Here’s Lombardi on the hiring:
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 11
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 40
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)