Jul 18, 2013, 4:16 PM EST
The contract carries an average annual cap hit of $675,000, and is a good deal for both parties.
The Isles retain a 24-year-old blueliner who, in 2013, posted career highs in games played (39) and points (four) while making both his NHL regular-season and playoff debuts.
For Hickey, the deal gives him a chance to stick with the club that revived his NHL career.
The captain of Canada’s gold medal-winning Junior team from 2009, Hickey — the Kings’ No. 4 overall pick at the ’07 NHL Entry Draft — failed to make good on the promise that made him the first defenseman selected in his draft class (ahead of Karl Alzner, Ryan McDonagh and Kevin Shattenkirk.)
He spent the first four-plus seasons of his pro career playing for L.A.’s AHL affiliate in Manchester, as injuries and a deep Kings blueline kept him from making the jump to the NHL.
The Islanders claimed Hickey off waivers prior to the start of the 2013 campaign, and he responded with a solid effort.
He’ll likely play a bigger role in 2013-14, as the Isles lost the services of veteran captain Mark Streit and only have seven defensemen on the current active roster.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 6
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 73
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)