Jul 18, 2013, 4:16 PM EST
The contract carries an average annual cap hit of $675,000, and is a good deal for both parties.
The Isles retain a 24-year-old blueliner who, in 2013, posted career highs in games played (39) and points (four) while making both his NHL regular-season and playoff debuts.
For Hickey, the deal gives him a chance to stick with the club that revived his NHL career.
The captain of Canada’s gold medal-winning Junior team from 2009, Hickey — the Kings’ No. 4 overall pick at the ’07 NHL Entry Draft — failed to make good on the promise that made him the first defenseman selected in his draft class (ahead of Karl Alzner, Ryan McDonagh and Kevin Shattenkirk.)
He spent the first four-plus seasons of his pro career playing for L.A.’s AHL affiliate in Manchester, as injuries and a deep Kings blueline kept him from making the jump to the NHL.
The Islanders claimed Hickey off waivers prior to the start of the 2013 campaign, and he responded with a solid effort.
He’ll likely play a bigger role in 2013-14, as the Isles lost the services of veteran captain Mark Streit and only have seven defensemen on the current active roster.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 10
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 39
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)