Jul 18, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
The contract carries an average annual cap hit of $675,000, and is a good deal for both parties.
The Isles retain a 24-year-old blueliner who, in 2013, posted career highs in games played (39) and points (four) while making both his NHL regular-season and playoff debuts.
For Hickey, the deal gives him a chance to stick with the club that revived his NHL career.
The captain of Canada’s gold medal-winning Junior team from 2009, Hickey — the Kings’ No. 4 overall pick at the ’07 NHL Entry Draft — failed to make good on the promise that made him the first defenseman selected in his draft class (ahead of Karl Alzner, Ryan McDonagh and Kevin Shattenkirk.)
He spent the first four-plus seasons of his pro career playing for L.A.’s AHL affiliate in Manchester, as injuries and a deep Kings blueline kept him from making the jump to the NHL.
The Islanders claimed Hickey off waivers prior to the start of the 2013 campaign, and he responded with a solid effort.
He’ll likely play a bigger role in 2013-14, as the Isles lost the services of veteran captain Mark Streit and only have seven defensemen on the current active roster.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 5
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 36
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 25
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)