Jul 18, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby still needs more work done on his broken jaw, but remains happy with his recovery overall.
“Jaw’s good,” Crosby told CTV. “I think I have to do some things once I get back to Pittsburgh, but pretty minor procedures and stuff that, hopefully, I really won’t have to worry about once I get it done.”
Crosby, 25, missed the final month of the regular season after taking a slapshot to the face on March 30. He returned to action for Game 2 of Pittsburgh’s opening-round playoff series against the Islanders, and wore a protective face shield for the opening two playoff rounds.
The Pens captain ditched the guard for the Eastern Conference finals against Boston — during which he was punched in the jaw by Bruins captain Zdeno Chara — but insisted his poor performance (zero points in four games) had nothing to do with the injury.
“It was pretty good,” he explained. “I got a couple of shots that didn’t feel great, but nothing that I felt hindered my play, anything less than anyone else was playing through at the time.
“So, I was really happy with the way it responded.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)