Crosby: Jaw feels ‘good,’ requires more procedures

Jul 18, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT

UNIONDALE, NY - MAY 05: Chris Kunitz #14 of the Pittsburgh Penguins scores the overtime game winning powerplay goal at 8:44 against the New York Islanders and is joined by Sidney Crosby #87 (L) in Game Three of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals during the 2013 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on May 5, 2013 in Uniondale, New York. The Penguins defeated the Islanders 5-4 in overtime. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images) Getty Images

Sidney Crosby still needs more work done on his broken jaw, but remains happy with his recovery overall.

“Jaw’s good,” Crosby told CTV. “I think I have to do some things once I get back to Pittsburgh, but pretty minor procedures and stuff that, hopefully, I really won’t have to worry about once I get it done.”

Crosby, 25, missed the final month of the regular season after taking a slapshot to the face on March 30. He returned to action for Game 2 of Pittsburgh’s opening-round playoff series against the Islanders, and wore a protective face shield for the opening two playoff rounds.

The Pens captain ditched the guard for the Eastern Conference finals against Boston — during which he was punched in the jaw by Bruins captain Zdeno Chara — but insisted his poor performance (zero points in four games) had nothing to do with the injury.

“It was pretty good,” he explained. “I got a couple of shots that didn’t feel great, but nothing that I felt hindered my play, anything less than anyone else was playing through at the time.

“So, I was really happy with the way it responded.”

1. aklolzer - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Probably still sucking D through a straw.

• claudegirwho - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I can tell you speak from experience. Like how you bragged you can suck a golf ball through a hose

• verm68 - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM

does your mother know you’re still up this late at night?

• tru2joelu4eva - Jul 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Does your “D” fit through a straw?

• jpelle82 - Jul 19, 2013 at 10:02 AM

is “D” your mom?

2. biffnasty - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM

by having a few *minor things done*..he is referring to receiving his bf’s baloney pony in his mouth

• claudegirwho - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Crosby apparently makes you think about dong too. Good for you

• biffnasty - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Good one….you should write down all your witty zingers and keep them for future reference because you are 3 for 3 with ultimate comebacks so far

• claudegirwho - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Akolzer meet biffnasty, biffnasty meet akolzer I think your conversation would be better suited for a direct message or even FaceTime maybe with nothing but a Crosby jersey on ;) 4 for 4!!!!

• zetaone - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Are you 12 years old or just an overgrown man child ?

• hockeyfan1701 - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Grow up child

3. jacketsfan7 - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Love all the hate comments from fans from a team that didnt even make the playoffs last year , what a joke

• claudegirwho - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM

They’d get back to you with a reason why but their good hand is busy right now after thinking about that stuff but who are we to judge

4. malkinrulez - Jul 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I love the gay jokes from the Neanderthals from Philly. Feel free to join the rest of us in the 21st Century.

5. titansbro - Jul 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM

That really wasn’t a punch from Chara. If you see it in real speed it looks like nothing, maybe a face shove. Crosby couldn’t handle a real punch from Chara.

• esracerx46 - Jul 19, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Not a fan of Crosby’s by any stretch…. But…. I don’t think any of us can handle a “real punch” by Chara.

• tdrusher225 - Jul 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I hope the first game the Bruins and Penguins play next year Chara gives Crosby a little face wash. Though, he’ll probably have his agent send a copy to CBC.

6. orangeandblack67 - Jul 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I like how a person with a malkin rules user name makes a Neanderthal comment; since #71 oddly resembles one (with a touch of mongoloid)

7. tru2joelu4eva - Jul 19, 2013 at 12:44 AM

i love this website

8. blomfeld - Jul 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM

TAKE CARE SYDNEY … WE LUV YA MAN ! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

9. orangeandblack67 - Jul 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Oh! Also to the Jackets fan. How many times has Columbus made the playoffs??? Leave the comments section to the fans of real teams buddy.

• tru2joelu4eva - Jul 19, 2013 at 3:15 AM

sergei bobrovsky just won the vezina.

• comeonnowguys - Jul 19, 2013 at 8:54 AM

When you can’t refute the message, attack the messenger. When you can’t attack the messenger, make fun of the team he roots for. Textbook.

• cheesesteak75 - Jul 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM

1975!

10. pitpenguinsrulez - Jul 19, 2013 at 5:35 AM

I love the haters out there…while you people hate on Crosby just remember one thing which is that he still makes more money than all of you bums combined.

11. mattyo99 - Jul 19, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Pittsburgh fans are so classy.. Like if the headline was replaced with Giroux instead of Crosby they wouldn’t make a joke.. So sensitive

• hockey412 - Jul 19, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Eh, I think Pittsburgh fans in general are just sick of half-wits. Pittsburgh fans actually are very classy people. I, personally, love the Crosby hate – I’m a Crosby fan, and there is nothing more special to me than when fans of other teams get all half-witted just to be the first person to make a “Crosby sucks D” joke on the message board.

Talk about idiotic :)

Talk about classy :)

• dropthepuckeh - Jul 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Pittsburgh fans are very classy people? The are just sick of the half-wits? Who made you captain of the Pittsburgh fans and their spokesman? There are plenty of idiotic comments on here from your “classy” friends. Most people outside Pittsburgh would agree that Crosby is probably the best player in the world right now but can’t stand him because he is constantly complaining and lobbying the refs (and press). I’d be embarrassed. I realize you are wearing Penguin glasses in assessing your team but surely you aren’t totally blind to his antics?

• hockey412 - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Ok bub here’s a question – who the eff asked you?

Are you SERIOUSLY going to defend the original comment? If you are, go eff yourself, please. No one in Pittsburgh (or out of Pittsburgh) needs your crap.

There was a top-secret vote where I was elected the spokesman (though…generally speaking, you don’t need a “spokeperson” to jump in and defend a city, just fyi). Crosby isn’t lobbying any ref, or any press, with any of these remarks, you incredible piece of low class sh*t…do you argue that? Is there a ref mentioned in this article? No. Actually, when’s the last time he even lobbied a ref? Any clue? No. So shut up.

• museofthenetherworld - Jul 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM

So, because Crosby is not a “poon hound” he then, must be gay? OOOKAAY! makes sense! but, here’s the “thing” of it all is that, it sounds to me that some of you may have a wee bit of a crush on Crosby..YA..I Said It! I said “it” because, most of you get very vivid in the sexual descriptions regarding Crosby and other men. The real ? of the day is “why do some of you even give a collective “hoo haa” over who/whom he is “shagging” SERIOUSLY, OMFGG WTF! This whole gay conversation reminds me of the damn song “all in the family” by Korn/Durst. Another point is for those of who used “hateful anti-gay” rhetoric did you know…the NHL has a partnership with You Can Play and, guess what it is so, LGTB people can “feel free” to be free..well, until they read some of these encouraging posts from fans like some of you!!!! Now, I am a Pittsburgh Fan!..I bleed/have bled Black/Gold SO, with all that being said I seriously, from the bottom of the darkest part of my soul hope; that when Crosby plays this year he, sports a “dog collar”, mo-hawk, and instead of speaking only barks” that would be very interesting indeed! because, I do not know how he stays so calm amidst some of these jabs. Take Care All! and Keep Staying Classy Pittsburgh Fans!!

• comeonnowguys - Jul 19, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I’m not a giant fan of Crosby, but I still find it wearisome. You could do a drinking game or bingo to the comments that are sure to follow any Crosby story, but frankly, you’d be drunk or have bingo too fast to make it worth the effort.

12. chrisk61 - Jul 19, 2013 at 7:17 AM

sounds like cyndi has some complications with his jaw, and his “i feel good” comment is an attempt to put a positive spin on it. or maybe he is having oral enhancement surgery, to expand the cavity, so he can fit danny and geno at the same time HA HA HA.

also it is amusing how when it looked like letang would walk he was getting trashed by pens fans for single handedly causing the bruins sweep. but now that he is signed he is loved again. now tyler kennedy is the culprit. pens fans seem to be laced with shero’s kool aid and agree with every move. what a joke.

13. steelers88 - Jul 19, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I don’t mind the Crosby bashing I don’t understand why people get so bent out of shape people just need to get tough skin stop being so serious and just have fun with life.

• hockey412 - Jul 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Pretending to be a Pens fan just to be a troll is the highest form of flattery for the Pens and all of their fans.

14. jacketsfan7 - Jul 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM

We were closer to the playoffs then the flyers were ( Columbus that is ) ill tell you I’ve had a lot of nice conversations with flyers fans ( I’m a pens fan too ) and they have some nice people up there with a great passion for hockey , but I don’t see why you need to be bitter about a great player of a rival team , giroux is a beast , he has almost as sick of hands as datsyuk , he’s got more speed and better hands than Crosby and Malkin. And I love the kids passion for the sport , I love the rivalry itself , and I know the natural human reaction is to root for your team and try to bring the other one down. But honestly , based on stats , Philly will always be a great team , but for now , Pittsburgh is better , and I’m only basing that on stats , for a lot of years the flyers were better , but for now the penguins are , as for the blue jackets , they are a real team , they were tied with Minnesota for the 8th seed but Minnesota had more ROWS than Columbus did , just because we’ve only made the playoffs once doesn’t mean our team has no future , our team has great fans , and fun games to watch , and coming with that has been struggle , but I can see the jackets making the playoffs at least once in the next 3 years. I’m sorry for my last comment , dissing the flyers too. As they are a great franchise with great fans. Sorry if I offended anyone’s team.

15. dropthepuckeh - Jul 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Why can’t this guy just shut up about the “I got a couple of shots that didn’t feel great”. He sounds like a whiny baby. Take a page from the leaders of league who suck it up and don’t complain. As he said it was no worse than anything else people were dealing with so why throw in that immature little comment? It’s like saying, I’m not going to use the fact that I got hit in the jaw as an excuse BUT blah blah blah. Don’t bring it up at all if you are trying to be a leader. If his jaw was not ready to be touched, he shouldn’t have removed his shield. Getting a face rub in hockey is part of the sport, even for elite players like Crosby. The reason people have such a problem with him is because ever since he came into the league he has complained to the refs and now to the press. Its not just fans who feel he he needs to shut up, his reputation is well known among the players. Imagine what a leader he could be if he went to the Bergeron school of suck it up and play.

• cheesesteak75 - Jul 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Who sounds like the whiny baby now?!!!

• dropthepuckeh - Jul 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Last I checked I wasn’t auditioning for best player in the world….

• theageofquarrel - Jul 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM

So,he was asked in an INTERVIEW about his jaw but he isn’t supposed to answer?
      Ok.

16. raoool - Jul 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM

apparently the ‘additional things’ are cosmetic/touch-up work requested by Bettman – to be completed before they start shooting next season’s ads

17. President Charles Logan - Jul 19, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Crosby reminds me of Junior from the new CBS hit show “Under The Dome… he looks just like him, he even sounds just like him

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D