Jul 18, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT
Brown, 28, still has one year left on his current contract, at a bargain cap hit of $3.175 million. The eight-year extension runs through the 2021-22 season.
Drafted 13th overall by Los Angeles in 2003, Brown has 388 points in 641 career NHL games and was a major contributor to his team’s Stanley Cup championship in 2012, scoring 20 points in 20 playoff games.
Here’s Kings general manager Dean Lombardi on the extension:
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35