Jul 17, 2013, 9:06 PM EDT
Bobby Ryan knows there’ll be a culture shift from playing in Anaheim to playing in Ottawa.
And he can’t wait to be a part of it.
That’s what the new Sens forward said on Wednesday as he met local media for the first time, acknowledging hockey in the Canadian capital is viewed much differently than it is in Orange County.
“It’s a completely different culture from what it’s been like the past six years,” he said, as per the Globe and Mail. “[Being in Ottawa] is a completely different way of viewing hockey.
“I can’t wait to be a part of it.”
In Ottawa, Ryan will be under the biggest spotlight of his professional career.
Aside from playing in Canada, he’ll also be invariably linked to departed captain Daniel Alfredsson, as Ottawa’s trade to acquire Ryan happened just moments after Alfredsson shockingly left the team to sign in Detroit.
Ryan isn’t worried about increased pressure, though.
“No,” he replied when asked if he was worried about being under the microscope. “No matter where you play, that happens. When you’re in a position like I’ve been in, there are expectations — and obviously it’s a little different and in a much broader scale here.
“You can’t do that. If you do do that, it’s a detriment to whatever you’ve got going on.”
Ryan does have a point.
The former No. 2 overall pick — taken behind Sidney Crosby at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft — has always shouldered great expectations. A 43-goal scorer in his final year with OHL Owen Sound, he was expected to score goals with equal success at the professional level.
Which he has.
Since his first full season with Anaheim in 2008-09, the 6-foot-2, 215-pounder has scored 30-plus goals four times. He also has 10 goals in 26 playoff contests.
That production alone should make up for what was lost with Alfredsson, but Ryan’s quick to point out he’s not there to replace the face of the franchise.
“I don’t think there’s anyone who’s going to take that place, especially with what he’s done in the community,” Ryan explained. “If anybody’s going to do that, it’s going to be (Jason Spezza).”
Apr 23, 2014, 2:17 AM EDT
They’ll be facing elimination on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:25 AM EDT
Stunner at the Staples Center.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
Impressive, but just his first marker of the series.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Apr 22, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT
“They thrived on it.”
Apr 22, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
Some thought he was milking an injury and even holding the wrong knee.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:53 PM EDT
Flyers fans give it right back, though.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Get this: people will be talking about Flyers goaltending.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Not exactly a thing of beauty, but it counts…
Apr 22, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Kept him out of the entire opening round.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Boston’s first win at Joe Louis Arena in seven years.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
Not the names you’d expect, huh?
Apr 22, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
Tampa Bay hits a wall called Montreal.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Another blowout coming?
Apr 22, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
And creates a little bit of controversy in the process.
Apr 22, 2014, 8:41 PM EDT
Could this be his last appearance with Tampa Bay?
Apr 22, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Also: Capitals Winter Classic and Islanders ownership talk.
Apr 22, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Steve Mason backs up Ray Emery for Philly.
Apr 22, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
Who can take a 2-1 lead?
Apr 22, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
At least there wasn’t a school bus involved with this comparison.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)