Jul 17, 2013, 9:06 PM EDT
Bobby Ryan knows there’ll be a culture shift from playing in Anaheim to playing in Ottawa.
And he can’t wait to be a part of it.
That’s what the new Sens forward said on Wednesday as he met local media for the first time, acknowledging hockey in the Canadian capital is viewed much differently than it is in Orange County.
“It’s a completely different culture from what it’s been like the past six years,” he said, as per the Globe and Mail. “[Being in Ottawa] is a completely different way of viewing hockey.
“I can’t wait to be a part of it.”
In Ottawa, Ryan will be under the biggest spotlight of his professional career.
Aside from playing in Canada, he’ll also be invariably linked to departed captain Daniel Alfredsson, as Ottawa’s trade to acquire Ryan happened just moments after Alfredsson shockingly left the team to sign in Detroit.
Ryan isn’t worried about increased pressure, though.
“No,” he replied when asked if he was worried about being under the microscope. “No matter where you play, that happens. When you’re in a position like I’ve been in, there are expectations — and obviously it’s a little different and in a much broader scale here.
“You can’t do that. If you do do that, it’s a detriment to whatever you’ve got going on.”
Ryan does have a point.
The former No. 2 overall pick — taken behind Sidney Crosby at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft — has always shouldered great expectations. A 43-goal scorer in his final year with OHL Owen Sound, he was expected to score goals with equal success at the professional level.
Which he has.
Since his first full season with Anaheim in 2008-09, the 6-foot-2, 215-pounder has scored 30-plus goals four times. He also has 10 goals in 26 playoff contests.
That production alone should make up for what was lost with Alfredsson, but Ryan’s quick to point out he’s not there to replace the face of the franchise.
“I don’t think there’s anyone who’s going to take that place, especially with what he’s done in the community,” Ryan explained. “If anybody’s going to do that, it’s going to be (Jason Spezza).”
Apr 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Was shaken up after taking a knee to the head.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Just another game between these two California rivals.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT
Jon Cooper straddles the line between snarky and careful.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Tough breaks for Tampa Bay.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Remarkable … and risky?
Apr 20, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Kings hope to avoid two straight years of 0-2 first-round deficits.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s captain managed to return later in the game.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Classy gesture after 16 seasons with the Predators.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Can the Bolts get back in this series?
Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
They’re down 2-0 to Montreal going into Game 3 tonight.
Apr 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
The series is tied at 1-1.
Apr 20, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Chicago will have to find a way to get back into this series without one of its top defenseman.
Apr 20, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
It’s the second part of NBC’s doubleheader.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
He stopped 30 shots on Saturday.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Pittsburgh dropped Game 2 against Columbus.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 17
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 36
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 57
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 89
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (89)