Jul 17, 2013, 9:06 PM EDT
Bobby Ryan knows there’ll be a culture shift from playing in Anaheim to playing in Ottawa.
And he can’t wait to be a part of it.
That’s what the new Sens forward said on Wednesday as he met local media for the first time, acknowledging hockey in the Canadian capital is viewed much differently than it is in Orange County.
“It’s a completely different culture from what it’s been like the past six years,” he said, as per the Globe and Mail. “[Being in Ottawa] is a completely different way of viewing hockey.
“I can’t wait to be a part of it.”
In Ottawa, Ryan will be under the biggest spotlight of his professional career.
Aside from playing in Canada, he’ll also be invariably linked to departed captain Daniel Alfredsson, as Ottawa’s trade to acquire Ryan happened just moments after Alfredsson shockingly left the team to sign in Detroit.
Ryan isn’t worried about increased pressure, though.
“No,” he replied when asked if he was worried about being under the microscope. “No matter where you play, that happens. When you’re in a position like I’ve been in, there are expectations — and obviously it’s a little different and in a much broader scale here.
“You can’t do that. If you do do that, it’s a detriment to whatever you’ve got going on.”
Ryan does have a point.
The former No. 2 overall pick — taken behind Sidney Crosby at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft — has always shouldered great expectations. A 43-goal scorer in his final year with OHL Owen Sound, he was expected to score goals with equal success at the professional level.
Which he has.
Since his first full season with Anaheim in 2008-09, the 6-foot-2, 215-pounder has scored 30-plus goals four times. He also has 10 goals in 26 playoff contests.
That production alone should make up for what was lost with Alfredsson, but Ryan’s quick to point out he’s not there to replace the face of the franchise.
“I don’t think there’s anyone who’s going to take that place, especially with what he’s done in the community,” Ryan explained. “If anybody’s going to do that, it’s going to be (Jason Spezza).”
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
“I can see, thank God, I can see,” he reportedly said.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
She reportedly hasn’t spoken to police since being released from the hospital.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
It was the game-winner, too.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov’s first win of 2014-15 and Colorado’s first home victory.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Somehow the latter fight didn’t leave a crater in the ice.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars get the extra point.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Injuries continue to … strike Tampa Bay.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Update: Vladislav Namestnikov was credited with the last goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
On the bright side, Michael Grabner may resume skating soon.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Unfortunately, Tampa Bay might face another injury in J.T. Brown.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
They send their 2014 first-rounder to the OHL.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Tough times lately for St. Louis.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Speaking from experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
All the news and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)