Jul 17, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
While it’s always been assumed that NHL players will participate in the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia, still no official announcement has been made.
However, that’s expected to change soon.
Indeed, with less than a year to go before the Games (Feb. 7-23), the big announcement — along with the release of the 2013-14 NHL schedule — is imminent, according to the league’s deputy commissioner, Bill Daly.
“I expect both issues will be dealt with this week,” Daly said in an e-mail to the Chicago Tribune.
The announcement could, in fact, happen today, per Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
All sorts of issues have served as potential roadblocks to sending NHLers to Sochi, from big ones like insurance to smaller ones like hospitality for players’ and owners’ families.
- 2015 Jack Adams Award finalists: Hartley, Laviolette, Vigneault 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 14
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 41
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 49
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ (66)
- Lundqvist thinks Backstrom’s hit caused Rangers to lose focus before game-winning goal (63)