Jul 17, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
While it’s always been assumed that NHL players will participate in the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia, still no official announcement has been made.
However, that’s expected to change soon.
Indeed, with less than a year to go before the Games (Feb. 7-23), the big announcement — along with the release of the 2013-14 NHL schedule — is imminent, according to the league’s deputy commissioner, Bill Daly.
“I expect both issues will be dealt with this week,” Daly said in an e-mail to the Chicago Tribune.
The announcement could, in fact, happen today, per Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
All sorts of issues have served as potential roadblocks to sending NHLers to Sochi, from big ones like insurance to smaller ones like hospitality for players’ and owners’ families.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54