Jul 17, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
While it’s always been assumed that NHL players will participate in the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia, still no official announcement has been made.
However, that’s expected to change soon.
Indeed, with less than a year to go before the Games (Feb. 7-23), the big announcement — along with the release of the 2013-14 NHL schedule — is imminent, according to the league’s deputy commissioner, Bill Daly.
“I expect both issues will be dealt with this week,” Daly said in an e-mail to the Chicago Tribune.
The announcement could, in fact, happen today, per Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
All sorts of issues have served as potential roadblocks to sending NHLers to Sochi, from big ones like insurance to smaller ones like hospitality for players’ and owners’ families.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 20
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 19
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 46
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 123
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 80
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7