Jul 17, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
But that hasn’t gone exactly to plan.
Pavelski’s agent, Dan Plante, told CSN Bay Area talks haven’t progressed all that much.
“[Sharks GM] Doug [Wilson] and I have spoken but haven’t really gotten deep in discussions,” Plante explained via text message. “More on philosophy but we have spoken a lot.”
Last week, Wilson told Yahoo! Sports Talk Live that Pavelski’s negotiations began around the same time as Couture’s — and Couture inked his five-year, $30 million extension on June 17, nearly a full month ago.
Pavelski, 29, has been one of San Jose’s best forwards over the last three seasons. He posted a career-high 66 points in 2010-11, scored a career-high 31 goals in 2011-12 and led the team in playoff scoring this year, with 12 points.
He’s also heading into the final season of a four-year, $16 million deal.
San Jose’s cloudy financial picture could be playing into the delay for Pavelski’s new contract. The club already has $40 million committed to just 13 players for 2014-15, which includes big-ticket guys like Couture ($6 million), Brent Burns ($5.7 million), Martin Havlat ($5 million) and Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($4.25 million).
What it doesn’t include, though, are three of the Sharks’ most veteran players.
Dan Boyle, Patrick Marleau and captain Joe Thornton can all become unrestricted free agents in 2014. Assuming Wilson wants to keep them around, he’ll need to be sharp with the Pavelski extension, as that figure will likely play into what the aforementioned trio can be offered.
All that said, Plante is confident that Pavelski will soon get sorted out.
“We will get something figured out I am sure,” Plante said.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Vancouver took him with the sixth overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
He signed with the AHL Oklahoma City Barons.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
That wasn’t the case when he began his career.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
He’s a restricted free agent, but might end up returning to Switzerland.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
In a way, she played a role in him working for the Canucks.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
He lost the starting job to Jonathan Bernier last season.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
He was taken with the fourth overall pick.
Jul 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Two-time Stanley Cup winner played last season with KHL club HC Donbass.
Jul 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
“I wish I had a really good answer — where this came from and why, and how it came about — but I don’t, to be honest.”
Jul 25, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
“We’re hoping the change of scenery is going to do him good.”
Jul 25, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
But not before having played his first NHL game since 2009-10.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
“It’s a fairly simple one because Marc wants to be here,”
Jul 25, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT
The 32nd overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
He made his NHL debut with Washington last season.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
In other words, they want him to be a shutdown center
Jul 24, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Eriksson’s looking to bounce back after suffering two concussions last season.
Jul 24, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
He’ll get a fresh start after struggling with Vancouver.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
He’s coming back after testing the free agent waters.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT
It’s that time of the year.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)