Jul 17, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
But that hasn’t gone exactly to plan.
Pavelski’s agent, Dan Plante, told CSN Bay Area talks haven’t progressed all that much.
“[Sharks GM] Doug [Wilson] and I have spoken but haven’t really gotten deep in discussions,” Plante explained via text message. “More on philosophy but we have spoken a lot.”
Last week, Wilson told Yahoo! Sports Talk Live that Pavelski’s negotiations began around the same time as Couture’s — and Couture inked his five-year, $30 million extension on June 17, nearly a full month ago.
Pavelski, 29, has been one of San Jose’s best forwards over the last three seasons. He posted a career-high 66 points in 2010-11, scored a career-high 31 goals in 2011-12 and led the team in playoff scoring this year, with 12 points.
He’s also heading into the final season of a four-year, $16 million deal.
San Jose’s cloudy financial picture could be playing into the delay for Pavelski’s new contract. The club already has $40 million committed to just 13 players for 2014-15, which includes big-ticket guys like Couture ($6 million), Brent Burns ($5.7 million), Martin Havlat ($5 million) and Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($4.25 million).
What it doesn’t include, though, are three of the Sharks’ most veteran players.
Dan Boyle, Patrick Marleau and captain Joe Thornton can all become unrestricted free agents in 2014. Assuming Wilson wants to keep them around, he’ll need to be sharp with the Pavelski extension, as that figure will likely play into what the aforementioned trio can be offered.
All that said, Plante is confident that Pavelski will soon get sorted out.
“We will get something figured out I am sure,” Plante said.
- Video: Letang practices, says his goal is to return this season 6
- Who has the best and worst special teams in the NHL? 20
- Report: NHL pondering more draft lottery changes 14
- Playoff bubble watch — Stars edition 3
- Playoff race update: Jets smash Stars, muddy West picture 12
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 23
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 8
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 10
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series (60)