Jul 16, 2013, 6:26 PM EST
Carcillo, 28, has spent the last two seasons with the ‘Hawks, appearing in 23 games last year after missing most of 2011-12 with a torn left ACL.
A noted pugilist, Carcillo had 2G-1A last season and appeared in four postseason games for the ‘Hawks during their Cup run, though none after Chicago’s second-round victory against Detroit.
The three were close during their time together in Philadelphia — when reports broke about Carter, Richards and the “Dry Island” situation, Carcillo jumped to both players’ defense.
“I have nothing but good things to say about Mike Richards,” Carcillo told the Chicago Sun-Times. “He’s an amazing person. He’s an amazing captain. It makes me upset kind of how he’s been dragged through the dirt a little bit as well as Jeff Carter.
“I don’t think it’s fair and I don’t think it’s warranted.”
Carcillo has one year left on a deal that carries an average annual cap hit of $825,000.
Los Angeles’ two most active fighters from a year ago — Nolan had six scraps, Clifford five — are RFAs. Nolan is headed to an arbitration hearing (Clifford doesn’t have arbitration rights) and could be in line for raises, which might be an issue for the Kings, who are currently $3 million away from the cap ceiling.
Clifford, who tied a career-high in points in 2013, carried an $870,000 cap hit on his last deal.
Nolan had a $531,000 cap hit on his last deal, and set a career-high in points (granted, it was with six.)
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 3
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 0
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 16
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10