Jul 16, 2013, 6:26 PM EST
Carcillo, 28, has spent the last two seasons with the ‘Hawks, appearing in 23 games last year after missing most of 2011-12 with a torn left ACL.
A noted pugilist, Carcillo had 2G-1A last season and appeared in four postseason games for the ‘Hawks during their Cup run, though none after Chicago’s second-round victory against Detroit.
The three were close during their time together in Philadelphia — when reports broke about Carter, Richards and the “Dry Island” situation, Carcillo jumped to both players’ defense.
“I have nothing but good things to say about Mike Richards,” Carcillo told the Chicago Sun-Times. “He’s an amazing person. He’s an amazing captain. It makes me upset kind of how he’s been dragged through the dirt a little bit as well as Jeff Carter.
“I don’t think it’s fair and I don’t think it’s warranted.”
Carcillo has one year left on a deal that carries an average annual cap hit of $825,000.
Los Angeles’ two most active fighters from a year ago — Nolan had six scraps, Clifford five — are RFAs. Nolan is headed to an arbitration hearing (Clifford doesn’t have arbitration rights) and could be in line for raises, which might be an issue for the Kings, who are currently $3 million away from the cap ceiling.
Clifford, who tied a career-high in points in 2013, carried an $870,000 cap hit on his last deal.
Nolan had a $531,000 cap hit on his last deal, and set a career-high in points (granted, it was with six.)
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 14
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)