Jul 16, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have brought another familiar face back into the fold, naming former forward Stephan Lebeau as the new assistant coach of its AHL affiliate in Hamilton.
“Stephan has a wealth of knowledge as a hockey coach,” Habs GM Marc Bergevin said in a statement. “His experience and ability to work with young players are a tremendous asset for our organization.”
Lebeau, 45, had previously spent two years as the head coach of QMHJL Victoriaville from 2004-06.
This hire is the latest in Bergevin’s overall theme of bringing former Canadiens into the fold.
Head coach Michel Therrien was brought back this season for his second tour of duty in Montreal. He was joined by another ex-Montreal coach, Clement Jodoin (an assistant from 1997-2001) and former Habs defenseman J.J. Daigneault (currently an assistant coach) and Patrice Brisebois (currently a player development coach).
Lebeau’s best season in Montreal came during the 1992-93 season, when he finished fourth on the team with 31 goals and 80 points, helping the Canadiens win the Stanley Cup.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)