Jul 16, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have brought another familiar face back into the fold, naming former forward Stephan Lebeau as the new assistant coach of its AHL affiliate in Hamilton.
“Stephan has a wealth of knowledge as a hockey coach,” Habs GM Marc Bergevin said in a statement. “His experience and ability to work with young players are a tremendous asset for our organization.”
Lebeau, 45, had previously spent two years as the head coach of QMHJL Victoriaville from 2004-06.
This hire is the latest in Bergevin’s overall theme of bringing former Canadiens into the fold.
Head coach Michel Therrien was brought back this season for his second tour of duty in Montreal. He was joined by another ex-Montreal coach, Clement Jodoin (an assistant from 1997-2001) and former Habs defenseman J.J. Daigneault (currently an assistant coach) and Patrice Brisebois (currently a player development coach).
Lebeau’s best season in Montreal came during the 1992-93 season, when he finished fourth on the team with 31 goals and 80 points, helping the Canadiens win the Stanley Cup.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)