Jul 16, 2013, 4:11 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens have brought another familiar face back into the fold, naming former forward Stephan Lebeau as the new assistant coach of its AHL affiliate in Hamilton.
“Stephan has a wealth of knowledge as a hockey coach,” Habs GM Marc Bergevin said in a statement. “His experience and ability to work with young players are a tremendous asset for our organization.”
Lebeau, 45, had previously spent two years as the head coach of QMHJL Victoriaville from 2004-06.
This hire is the latest in Bergevin’s overall theme of bringing former Canadiens into the fold.
Head coach Michel Therrien was brought back this season for his second tour of duty in Montreal. He was joined by another ex-Montreal coach, Clement Jodoin (an assistant from 1997-2001) and former Habs defenseman J.J. Daigneault (currently an assistant coach) and Patrice Brisebois (currently a player development coach).
Lebeau’s best season in Montreal came during the 1992-93 season, when he finished fourth on the team with 31 goals and 80 points, helping the Canadiens win the Stanley Cup.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)