Jul 16, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
As you’ve probably noticed, the free agent market is molasses-slow right now. That must make marginal guys like Manny Malhotra feel especially anxious, as it’s unclear if they’ll get any calls from NHL teams once things get rolling again.
Even so, the 33-year-old said on Tuesday that he is staying in shape in case something comes up, according to the Vancouver Metro News.
“There’s a lot of kicking tires going on, I guess, just like everybody else in the league,” Malhotra said, “but nothing substantial at this point.”
“Whatever opportunity arises, we’re more than happy to listen.”
Malhotra’s defensive play (and faceoff proficiency) could make him marketable, especially if he’s willing to take a deal that’s light on money and/or term.
Unfortunately, some league execs might wonder if he’s too much of a risk after the Canucks cut off his 2013 season in mid-February to protect his long-term health.
Ultimately, Malhotra and plenty of other free agents will find out soon enough.
Apr 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT(Edit)
The series is tied at 1-1.
Apr 20, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT(Edit)
Chicago will have to find a way to get back into this series without one of its top defenseman.
Apr 20, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT(Edit)
It’s the second part of NBC’s doubleheader.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT(Edit)
He stopped 30 shots on Saturday.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT(Edit)
Pittsburgh dropped Game 2 against Columbus.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT(Edit)
The contest will start at 12:00 p.m. ET.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT(Edit)
He has seven points in his first two playoff games.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT(Edit)
With a two-goal lead, Pittsburgh had four forwards on during a power play, which proved to be the turning point of this game.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT(Edit)
Meanwhile the Lightning are in a dangerous position.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT(Edit)
Colorado overcomes some strange officiating late in Game 2.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT(Edit)
Colorado’s rookie sensation is inspiring some bold words.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:54 PM EDT(Edit)
Special teams factored in.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:37 PM EDT(Edit)
Apr 19, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT(Edit)
He’s clearly not wilting in the postseason spotlight.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT(Edit)
Columbus has been in the NHL since the 2000-01 season.
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 21
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 34
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 22
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 135
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51