Jul 16, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
As you’ve probably noticed, the free agent market is molasses-slow right now. That must make marginal guys like Manny Malhotra feel especially anxious, as it’s unclear if they’ll get any calls from NHL teams once things get rolling again.
Even so, the 33-year-old said on Tuesday that he is staying in shape in case something comes up, according to the Vancouver Metro News.
“There’s a lot of kicking tires going on, I guess, just like everybody else in the league,” Malhotra said, “but nothing substantial at this point.”
“Whatever opportunity arises, we’re more than happy to listen.”
Malhotra’s defensive play (and faceoff proficiency) could make him marketable, especially if he’s willing to take a deal that’s light on money and/or term.
Unfortunately, some league execs might wonder if he’s too much of a risk after the Canucks cut off his 2013 season in mid-February to protect his long-term health.
Ultimately, Malhotra and plenty of other free agents will find out soon enough.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (52)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)