Jul 16, 2013, 10:02 PM EST
As you’ve probably noticed, the free agent market is molasses-slow right now. That must make marginal guys like Manny Malhotra feel especially anxious, as it’s unclear if they’ll get any calls from NHL teams once things get rolling again.
Even so, the 33-year-old said on Tuesday that he is staying in shape in case something comes up, according to the Vancouver Metro News.
“There’s a lot of kicking tires going on, I guess, just like everybody else in the league,” Malhotra said, “but nothing substantial at this point.”
“Whatever opportunity arises, we’re more than happy to listen.”
Malhotra’s defensive play (and faceoff proficiency) could make him marketable, especially if he’s willing to take a deal that’s light on money and/or term.
Unfortunately, some league execs might wonder if he’s too much of a risk after the Canucks cut off his 2013 season in mid-February to protect his long-term health.
Ultimately, Malhotra and plenty of other free agents will find out soon enough.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)