Jul 16, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
As you’ve probably noticed, the free agent market is molasses-slow right now. That must make marginal guys like Manny Malhotra feel especially anxious, as it’s unclear if they’ll get any calls from NHL teams once things get rolling again.
Even so, the 33-year-old said on Tuesday that he is staying in shape in case something comes up, according to the Vancouver Metro News.
“There’s a lot of kicking tires going on, I guess, just like everybody else in the league,” Malhotra said, “but nothing substantial at this point.”
“Whatever opportunity arises, we’re more than happy to listen.”
Malhotra’s defensive play (and faceoff proficiency) could make him marketable, especially if he’s willing to take a deal that’s light on money and/or term.
Unfortunately, some league execs might wonder if he’s too much of a risk after the Canucks cut off his 2013 season in mid-February to protect his long-term health.
Ultimately, Malhotra and plenty of other free agents will find out soon enough.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)