Jul 16, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
As you’ve probably noticed, the free agent market is molasses-slow right now. That must make marginal guys like Manny Malhotra feel especially anxious, as it’s unclear if they’ll get any calls from NHL teams once things get rolling again.
Even so, the 33-year-old said on Tuesday that he is staying in shape in case something comes up, according to the Vancouver Metro News.
“There’s a lot of kicking tires going on, I guess, just like everybody else in the league,” Malhotra said, “but nothing substantial at this point.”
“Whatever opportunity arises, we’re more than happy to listen.”
Malhotra’s defensive play (and faceoff proficiency) could make him marketable, especially if he’s willing to take a deal that’s light on money and/or term.
Unfortunately, some league execs might wonder if he’s too much of a risk after the Canucks cut off his 2013 season in mid-February to protect his long-term health.
Ultimately, Malhotra and plenty of other free agents will find out soon enough.
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 16
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 17
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 17
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 7
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 41
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)