Jul 16, 2013, 10:02 PM EST
As you’ve probably noticed, the free agent market is molasses-slow right now. That must make marginal guys like Manny Malhotra feel especially anxious, as it’s unclear if they’ll get any calls from NHL teams once things get rolling again.
Even so, the 33-year-old said on Tuesday that he is staying in shape in case something comes up, according to the Vancouver Metro News.
“There’s a lot of kicking tires going on, I guess, just like everybody else in the league,” Malhotra said, “but nothing substantial at this point.”
“Whatever opportunity arises, we’re more than happy to listen.”
Malhotra’s defensive play (and faceoff proficiency) could make him marketable, especially if he’s willing to take a deal that’s light on money and/or term.
Unfortunately, some league execs might wonder if he’s too much of a risk after the Canucks cut off his 2013 season in mid-February to protect his long-term health.
Ultimately, Malhotra and plenty of other free agents will find out soon enough.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)