Jul 16, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
For better or worse, Tim Leiweke is set on changing the culture of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
The new boss of Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment told Bloomberg as much on Monday, saying he’s already mapped out the club’s Stanley Cup parade while suggesting images of the 1960′s-era Leafs — who won four Cups between 1962-67 — should be scrapped.
“I have it planned out and it’s going to be fantastic,”Leiweke said of the proposed victory parade. “If you can all dream about that and get that in your mind, we’ll have something we’re all driven toward.”
That’s a brazen statement itself, but it wasn’t the only one.
As mentioned, Leiweke not-so-indirectly claimed Toronto needs to lessen the focus on its glory teams of the 60s.
“I don’t want the players walking in the hallways of the Air Canada Centre and seeing pictures from 1962,” he explained. “Get rid of those pictures and tell them, this is your legacy.”
How that sentiment plays in Toronto remains to be seen.
While the Leafs don’t retire numbers, they do honor them — with the likes of 60s icons George Armstrong (10), Johnny Bower (1), Red Kelly (4) and Frank Mahovlich (27) regarded as some of the greatest players to ever wear the blue and white.
But the way Leiweke sees it, all the teams under the MLSE umbrella needed a shift in focus.
“If the teams were doing well,” he told Bloomberg, “I wouldn’t have come.”
Jul 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
“Maybe it just wasn’t our time yet,” Patrick Roy said.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s assortment of links.
Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Makes sense for a franchise that frequently favors puck possession.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Can the STAR system help reduce concussions?
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The crash happened on Monday, according to reports.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 3
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 25
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 36
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)