Jul 16, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
For better or worse, Tim Leiweke is set on changing the culture of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
The new boss of Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment told Bloomberg as much on Monday, saying he’s already mapped out the club’s Stanley Cup parade while suggesting images of the 1960’s-era Leafs — who won four Cups between 1962-67 — should be scrapped.
“I have it planned out and it’s going to be fantastic,”Leiweke said of the proposed victory parade. “If you can all dream about that and get that in your mind, we’ll have something we’re all driven toward.”
That’s a brazen statement itself, but it wasn’t the only one.
As mentioned, Leiweke not-so-indirectly claimed Toronto needs to lessen the focus on its glory teams of the 60s.
“I don’t want the players walking in the hallways of the Air Canada Centre and seeing pictures from 1962,” he explained. “Get rid of those pictures and tell them, this is your legacy.”
How that sentiment plays in Toronto remains to be seen.
While the Leafs don’t retire numbers, they do honor them — with the likes of 60s icons George Armstrong (10), Johnny Bower (1), Red Kelly (4) and Frank Mahovlich (27) regarded as some of the greatest players to ever wear the blue and white.
But the way Leiweke sees it, all the teams under the MLSE umbrella needed a shift in focus.
“If the teams were doing well,” he told Bloomberg, “I wouldn’t have come.”
Jul 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Both were part of Dallas’ 1999 championship.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
He was recently hired by the team to serve as an assistant general manager.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
That won’t be easy given the Bruins’ current logjam.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
He might still end up playing in Russia.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
He attempted to make the transition to North America in 2013-14.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
The two sides are unlikely to agree to terms quickly though.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Yashin and Bure are among the players that will compete against Los Angeles.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“I was told there’s a definite opportunity.”
Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Former Anaheim forward posted a career high in points last year.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
With Riley Sheahan also signed, the only RFA left is Danny DeKeyser.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s appeared in over 150 NHL games with Chicago, Dallas and Minnesota.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Veteran goalie is high on his young teammates.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It’ll be done before camp.”
Jul 28, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Appeared in 83 games for Calgary over the last three seasons.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They’ll be dancing close to the upper limit all year.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day.
Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
He last played in 2001 with the Edmonton Oilers.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
He’s played four full seasons there already.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
He has a few guys that can help make it happen there.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
He was their final restricted free agent.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)