Jul 16, 2013, 10:37 AM EST
For better or worse, Tim Leiweke is set on changing the culture of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
The new boss of Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment told Bloomberg as much on Monday, saying he’s already mapped out the club’s Stanley Cup parade while suggesting images of the 1960′s-era Leafs — who won four Cups between 1962-67 — should be scrapped.
“I have it planned out and it’s going to be fantastic,”Leiweke said of the proposed victory parade. “If you can all dream about that and get that in your mind, we’ll have something we’re all driven toward.”
That’s a brazen statement itself, but it wasn’t the only one.
As mentioned, Leiweke not-so-indirectly claimed Toronto needs to lessen the focus on its glory teams of the 60s.
“I don’t want the players walking in the hallways of the Air Canada Centre and seeing pictures from 1962,” he explained. “Get rid of those pictures and tell them, this is your legacy.”
How that sentiment plays in Toronto remains to be seen.
While the Leafs don’t retire numbers, they do honor them — with the likes of 60s icons George Armstrong (10), Johnny Bower (1), Red Kelly (4) and Frank Mahovlich (27) regarded as some of the greatest players to ever wear the blue and white.
But the way Leiweke sees it, all the teams under the MLSE umbrella needed a shift in focus.
“If the teams were doing well,” he told Bloomberg, “I wouldn’t have come.”
Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM EST
Dallas scored once on the resulting five-minute major penalty.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:59 PM EST
Seeding battles heat up.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:55 PM EST
Jaroslav Halak wins in his Washington debut.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
He scored the game-winner for New Jersey against Carolina.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:53 PM EST
A solid Saturday for the Sens.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:24 PM EST
His No. 9 ascends to the rafters.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:11 PM EST
His latest acquisitions Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick are set to debut Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EST
Sounds like he’ll take his talents to Europe instead.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:37 PM EST
He was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis earlier this month.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:16 PM EST
Craig Anderson made 46 saves on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 5:45 PM EST
Making a strong first impression in St. Louis.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EST
Petr Mrazek will backup Jimmy Howard.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:28 PM EST
The Leafs have called up Frazer McLaren.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:49 PM EST
She had a 0.96 GAA and .954 save percentage in the Olympics.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:21 PM EST
He suffered the injury last Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:42 PM EST
He might not be ready for the start of the playoffs either, should Columbus get that far.
Mar 8, 2014, 1:58 PM EST
Guess who holds that record?
Mar 8, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
The Capitals drafted him in 2010, but he’s been playing in the KHL.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:58 PM EST
It will be his first start with Washington.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
They were key players in Finland’s bronze medal run in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
- Thomas forced into Stars debut after Wild’s Haula bloodies Lehtonen 0
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 5
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 9
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)