Jul 16, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
Free agent forward Jamal Mayers wants to play at least one more season in the NHL.
That’s the message his agent Pat Brisson sent to the Chicago Tribune on Tuesday.
“[Mayers] would like to return,” Brisson wrote in an e-mail. “We are optimistic we will have a team come September.”
It also seems pretty certain that team won’t be the Chicago Blackhawks. The 38-year-old played in 19 regular season games but didn’t make a playoff appearance in 2013. Even so, Mayers thinks he can still play, as he said following the Blackhawks’ championship run.
“I feel like I can still skate, and in today’s game you have to be able to skate to keep up with those young kids,” Mayers said.
If there are no takers, he’s still made the most of his career, which spanned 915 regular season and 63 playoff games.
“If I do walk away, I can do it as a champion,” Mayers said.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 14
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15