Jul 16, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
Free agent forward Jamal Mayers wants to play at least one more season in the NHL.
That’s the message his agent Pat Brisson sent to the Chicago Tribune on Tuesday.
“[Mayers] would like to return,” Brisson wrote in an e-mail. “We are optimistic we will have a team come September.”
It also seems pretty certain that team won’t be the Chicago Blackhawks. The 38-year-old played in 19 regular season games but didn’t make a playoff appearance in 2013. Even so, Mayers thinks he can still play, as he said following the Blackhawks’ championship run.
“I feel like I can still skate, and in today’s game you have to be able to skate to keep up with those young kids,” Mayers said.
If there are no takers, he’s still made the most of his career, which spanned 915 regular season and 63 playoff games.
“If I do walk away, I can do it as a champion,” Mayers said.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)