Jul 16, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
Free agent forward Jamal Mayers wants to play at least one more season in the NHL.
That’s the message his agent Pat Brisson sent to the Chicago Tribune on Tuesday.
“[Mayers] would like to return,” Brisson wrote in an e-mail. “We are optimistic we will have a team come September.”
It also seems pretty certain that team won’t be the Chicago Blackhawks. The 38-year-old played in 19 regular season games but didn’t make a playoff appearance in 2013. Even so, Mayers thinks he can still play, as he said following the Blackhawks’ championship run.
“I feel like I can still skate, and in today’s game you have to be able to skate to keep up with those young kids,” Mayers said.
If there are no takers, he’s still made the most of his career, which spanned 915 regular season and 63 playoff games.
“If I do walk away, I can do it as a champion,” Mayers said.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)