Jul 16, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
Free agent forward Jamal Mayers wants to play at least one more season in the NHL.
That’s the message his agent Pat Brisson sent to the Chicago Tribune on Tuesday.
“[Mayers] would like to return,” Brisson wrote in an e-mail. “We are optimistic we will have a team come September.”
It also seems pretty certain that team won’t be the Chicago Blackhawks. The 38-year-old played in 19 regular season games but didn’t make a playoff appearance in 2013. Even so, Mayers thinks he can still play, as he said following the Blackhawks’ championship run.
“I feel like I can still skate, and in today’s game you have to be able to skate to keep up with those young kids,” Mayers said.
If there are no takers, he’s still made the most of his career, which spanned 915 regular season and 63 playoff games.
“If I do walk away, I can do it as a champion,” Mayers said.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 7
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 11
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)