Jul 16, 2013, 1:59 PM EST
Just one day after announcing his retirement from professional hockey, Blake Geoffrion has a new job.
On Tuesday, the Columbus Blue Jackets announced they added Geoffrion to their professional scouting department.
“I’ve spoken at length with him a few times, and he really has a great read on today’s players,” said Jackets GM Jarmo Kekelainen. “It’s a real advantage when you can deal [with] people who have actually play against these guys, not just watched them.”
Geoffrion, 25, suffered what amounted to a career-ending depressed skull fracture on a hit (video) while playing for Montreal’s AHL Hamilton affiliate in November of last year.
Drafted 56th overall by Nashville in 2006, Geoffrion was a star with the University of Wisconsin and was the Hobey Baker winner in 2010.
Acquired by Montreal in 2011, he was celebrated as a fourth-generation Hab — the son of former Canadien Danny Geoffrion, the grandson of Hall of Famer Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion and the great-grandson of another Hall of Famer, Howie Morenz.
As for his hire in Columbus — Kekalainen’s reference to Geoffrion’s playing experience is interesting, and makes a lot of sense.
Geoffrion played with a number of young, talented NHLers during his time with the Badgers — Kyle Turris, Ryan McDonagh, Derek Stepan, Brendan Smith, Jake Gardiner, Brian Elliott, Jamie McBain, Davis Drewiske, Craig Smith — and against countless others during his four-year collegiate career.
He was also a teammate of Blue Jackets farmhand Cody Goloubef at Wisconsin.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 29
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 64
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)