Jul 16, 2013, 1:59 PM EST
Just one day after announcing his retirement from professional hockey, Blake Geoffrion has a new job.
On Tuesday, the Columbus Blue Jackets announced they added Geoffrion to their professional scouting department.
“I’ve spoken at length with him a few times, and he really has a great read on today’s players,” said Jackets GM Jarmo Kekelainen. “It’s a real advantage when you can deal [with] people who have actually play against these guys, not just watched them.”
Geoffrion, 25, suffered what amounted to a career-ending depressed skull fracture on a hit (video) while playing for Montreal’s AHL Hamilton affiliate in November of last year.
Drafted 56th overall by Nashville in 2006, Geoffrion was a star with the University of Wisconsin and was the Hobey Baker winner in 2010.
Acquired by Montreal in 2011, he was celebrated as a fourth-generation Hab — the son of former Canadien Danny Geoffrion, the grandson of Hall of Famer Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion and the great-grandson of another Hall of Famer, Howie Morenz.
As for his hire in Columbus — Kekalainen’s reference to Geoffrion’s playing experience is interesting, and makes a lot of sense.
Geoffrion played with a number of young, talented NHLers during his time with the Badgers — Kyle Turris, Ryan McDonagh, Derek Stepan, Brendan Smith, Jake Gardiner, Brian Elliott, Jamie McBain, Davis Drewiske, Craig Smith — and against countless others during his four-year collegiate career.
He was also a teammate of Blue Jackets farmhand Cody Goloubef at Wisconsin.
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 9
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 6
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 35
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 75
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)