Jul 16, 2013, 1:59 PM EDT
Just one day after announcing his retirement from professional hockey, Blake Geoffrion has a new job.
On Tuesday, the Columbus Blue Jackets announced they added Geoffrion to their professional scouting department.
“I’ve spoken at length with him a few times, and he really has a great read on today’s players,” said Jackets GM Jarmo Kekelainen. “It’s a real advantage when you can deal [with] people who have actually play against these guys, not just watched them.”
Geoffrion, 25, suffered what amounted to a career-ending depressed skull fracture on a hit (video) while playing for Montreal’s AHL Hamilton affiliate in November of last year.
Drafted 56th overall by Nashville in 2006, Geoffrion was a star with the University of Wisconsin and was the Hobey Baker winner in 2010.
Acquired by Montreal in 2011, he was celebrated as a fourth-generation Hab — the son of former Canadien Danny Geoffrion, the grandson of Hall of Famer Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion and the great-grandson of another Hall of Famer, Howie Morenz.
As for his hire in Columbus — Kekalainen’s reference to Geoffrion’s playing experience is interesting, and makes a lot of sense.
Geoffrion played with a number of young, talented NHLers during his time with the Badgers — Kyle Turris, Ryan McDonagh, Derek Stepan, Brendan Smith, Jake Gardiner, Brian Elliott, Jamie McBain, Davis Drewiske, Craig Smith — and against countless others during his four-year collegiate career.
He was also a teammate of Blue Jackets farmhand Cody Goloubef at Wisconsin.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (44)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)