Jul 16, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings currently have 23 players under contract for 2013-14 — the maximum allowable on their active roster.
Come September, that number could hit 25.
Wings GM Ken Holland has confirmed that his two RFA forwards, Gustav Nyquist and Joakim Andersson, will sign new deals by the fall.
“They’ll be done by camp,” Holland told The Oakland Press.
Neither Nyquist nor Andersson filed for arbitration, which means the Wings can take their time in hammering out a new deal — and Holland definitely wants time on his side, as he has some decision to make in order for the club to be roster/CBA compliant.
Detroit already used one of its buyouts on defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo but, now that the window has closed, Holland’s focus shifts to moving some players via trade or waivers.
One player believed to be available via trade is Jordin Tootoo.
Tootoo, 30, has two years remaining on his deal (at $1.9 million per). He fell out of head coach Mike Babcock’s favor midway through last season — a frequent healthy scratch down the stretch — and only appeared in one of Detroit’s 14 playoff games this spring.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)