Jul 16, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings currently have 23 players under contract for 2013-14 — the maximum allowable on their active roster.
Come September, that number could hit 25.
Wings GM Ken Holland has confirmed that his two RFA forwards, Gustav Nyquist and Joakim Andersson, will sign new deals by the fall.
“They’ll be done by camp,” Holland told The Oakland Press.
Neither Nyquist nor Andersson filed for arbitration, which means the Wings can take their time in hammering out a new deal — and Holland definitely wants time on his side, as he has some decision to make in order for the club to be roster/CBA compliant.
Detroit already used one of its buyouts on defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo but, now that the window has closed, Holland’s focus shifts to moving some players via trade or waivers.
One player believed to be available via trade is Jordin Tootoo.
Tootoo, 30, has two years remaining on his deal (at $1.9 million per). He fell out of head coach Mike Babcock’s favor midway through last season — a frequent healthy scratch down the stretch — and only appeared in one of Detroit’s 14 playoff games this spring.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)