Jul 16, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
Ron Hextall’s job as the assistant GM of the Los Angeles Kings expired in late June and he didn’t waste any time accepting the same gig with his old team, the Philadelphia Flyers.
“In this decision, I’m sure you guys were going to ask what it was all about,” Hextall told CSN Philly. “I don’t have anything earth shattering except to say it was a gut feeling.”
That feeling might be one that pays off big for Hextall in the long run. While current Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has faced criticism for some of his bold moves that don’t always pay off, Hextall is very highly regarded.
A CSN Philly league source called Hextall “the GM in waiting,” and Holmgren did nothing to dispel that perception.
“To me, he’s the most highly thought of guy in the league that’s not a GM,” Holmgren said. “And to add him to our staff is huge.”
One area that the Flyers hope Hextall will be able to help them with is the draft. Although the Flyers have gotten some good first and second round picks, they haven’t been particularly successful finding diamonds in the rough in the later rounds.
Holmgren added that Hextall will be involved “in everything that’s going on, from the minors to scouting to the Flyers.”
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)