Jul 16, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
Ron Hextall’s job as the assistant GM of the Los Angeles Kings expired in late June and he didn’t waste any time accepting the same gig with his old team, the Philadelphia Flyers.
“In this decision, I’m sure you guys were going to ask what it was all about,” Hextall told CSN Philly. “I don’t have anything earth shattering except to say it was a gut feeling.”
That feeling might be one that pays off big for Hextall in the long run. While current Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has faced criticism for some of his bold moves that don’t always pay off, Hextall is very highly regarded.
A CSN Philly league source called Hextall “the GM in waiting,” and Holmgren did nothing to dispel that perception.
“To me, he’s the most highly thought of guy in the league that’s not a GM,” Holmgren said. “And to add him to our staff is huge.”
One area that the Flyers hope Hextall will be able to help them with is the draft. Although the Flyers have gotten some good first and second round picks, they haven’t been particularly successful finding diamonds in the rough in the later rounds.
Holmgren added that Hextall will be involved “in everything that’s going on, from the minors to scouting to the Flyers.”
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)