Jul 16, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
Ron Hextall’s job as the assistant GM of the Los Angeles Kings expired in late June and he didn’t waste any time accepting the same gig with his old team, the Philadelphia Flyers.
“In this decision, I’m sure you guys were going to ask what it was all about,” Hextall told CSN Philly. “I don’t have anything earth shattering except to say it was a gut feeling.”
That feeling might be one that pays off big for Hextall in the long run. While current Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has faced criticism for some of his bold moves that don’t always pay off, Hextall is very highly regarded.
A CSN Philly league source called Hextall “the GM in waiting,” and Holmgren did nothing to dispel that perception.
“To me, he’s the most highly thought of guy in the league that’s not a GM,” Holmgren said. “And to add him to our staff is huge.”
One area that the Flyers hope Hextall will be able to help them with is the draft. Although the Flyers have gotten some good first and second round picks, they haven’t been particularly successful finding diamonds in the rough in the later rounds.
Holmgren added that Hextall will be involved “in everything that’s going on, from the minors to scouting to the Flyers.”
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)