Jul 16, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
Ron Hextall’s job as the assistant GM of the Los Angeles Kings expired in late June and he didn’t waste any time accepting the same gig with his old team, the Philadelphia Flyers.
“In this decision, I’m sure you guys were going to ask what it was all about,” Hextall told CSN Philly. “I don’t have anything earth shattering except to say it was a gut feeling.”
That feeling might be one that pays off big for Hextall in the long run. While current Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has faced criticism for some of his bold moves that don’t always pay off, Hextall is very highly regarded.
A CSN Philly league source called Hextall “the GM in waiting,” and Holmgren did nothing to dispel that perception.
“To me, he’s the most highly thought of guy in the league that’s not a GM,” Holmgren said. “And to add him to our staff is huge.”
One area that the Flyers hope Hextall will be able to help them with is the draft. Although the Flyers have gotten some good first and second round picks, they haven’t been particularly successful finding diamonds in the rough in the later rounds.
Holmgren added that Hextall will be involved “in everything that’s going on, from the minors to scouting to the Flyers.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)