Jul 16, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
New Jersey’s search for an assistant coach appears to be narrowing — slightly.
The Devils, seeking a replacement for Matt Shaw, are looking for a former NHLer with some experience behind the bench, according to head coach Peter DeBoer.
“I think we’re looking for an ex-player. I think we’re looking for someone with some coaching experience,” DeBoer told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “Beyond that, I’ve got an open mind.
“We’ve had different personalities on the staff the last two years between Larry (Robinson), Adam Oates and then (Matt Shaw) and adding Scotty (Stevens) last year. So I think we’re versatile as a group. We just want to get a good person.”
As DeBoer alluded to, the Devils have shuffled the coaching deck over the last few years.
In 2010-11, John MacLean and Jacques Lemaire split head coaching duties (the latter replaced the former midway through the year) while Oates and Robinson served as assistants.
In 2011-12, DeBoer took over as head coach while Robinson and Oates were joined by Dave Barr.
In 2013, DeBoer lost Robinson (to San Jose) and Oates (to Washington), replacing them with Shaw (now the head coach and GM of USHL Dubuque) and Stevens.
Several candidate names have been kicked about for the job opening. Longtime Devil Sergei Brylin is one, even though he has no coaching experience. Brylin is currently working with New Jersey in a special assignment/scout role.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 19
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)