Jul 16, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
New Jersey’s search for an assistant coach appears to be narrowing — slightly.
The Devils, seeking a replacement for Matt Shaw, are looking for a former NHLer with some experience behind the bench, according to head coach Peter DeBoer.
“I think we’re looking for an ex-player. I think we’re looking for someone with some coaching experience,” DeBoer told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “Beyond that, I’ve got an open mind.
“We’ve had different personalities on the staff the last two years between Larry (Robinson), Adam Oates and then (Matt Shaw) and adding Scotty (Stevens) last year. So I think we’re versatile as a group. We just want to get a good person.”
As DeBoer alluded to, the Devils have shuffled the coaching deck over the last few years.
In 2010-11, John MacLean and Jacques Lemaire split head coaching duties (the latter replaced the former midway through the year) while Oates and Robinson served as assistants.
In 2011-12, DeBoer took over as head coach while Robinson and Oates were joined by Dave Barr.
In 2013, DeBoer lost Robinson (to San Jose) and Oates (to Washington), replacing them with Shaw (now the head coach and GM of USHL Dubuque) and Stevens.
Several candidate names have been kicked about for the job opening. Longtime Devil Sergei Brylin is one, even though he has no coaching experience. Brylin is currently working with New Jersey in a special assignment/scout role.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 7
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9