Jul 16, 2013, 11:27 AM EST
New Jersey’s search for an assistant coach appears to be narrowing — slightly.
The Devils, seeking a replacement for Matt Shaw, are looking for a former NHLer with some experience behind the bench, according to head coach Peter DeBoer.
“I think we’re looking for an ex-player. I think we’re looking for someone with some coaching experience,” DeBoer told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “Beyond that, I’ve got an open mind.
“We’ve had different personalities on the staff the last two years between Larry (Robinson), Adam Oates and then (Matt Shaw) and adding Scotty (Stevens) last year. So I think we’re versatile as a group. We just want to get a good person.”
As DeBoer alluded to, the Devils have shuffled the coaching deck over the last few years.
In 2010-11, John MacLean and Jacques Lemaire split head coaching duties (the latter replaced the former midway through the year) while Oates and Robinson served as assistants.
In 2011-12, DeBoer took over as head coach while Robinson and Oates were joined by Dave Barr.
In 2013, DeBoer lost Robinson (to San Jose) and Oates (to Washington), replacing them with Shaw (now the head coach and GM of USHL Dubuque) and Stevens.
Several candidate names have been kicked about for the job opening. Longtime Devil Sergei Brylin is one, even though he has no coaching experience. Brylin is currently working with New Jersey in a special assignment/scout role.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 55
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (71)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)