Jul 16, 2013, 11:27 AM EST
New Jersey’s search for an assistant coach appears to be narrowing — slightly.
The Devils, seeking a replacement for Matt Shaw, are looking for a former NHLer with some experience behind the bench, according to head coach Peter DeBoer.
“I think we’re looking for an ex-player. I think we’re looking for someone with some coaching experience,” DeBoer told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “Beyond that, I’ve got an open mind.
“We’ve had different personalities on the staff the last two years between Larry (Robinson), Adam Oates and then (Matt Shaw) and adding Scotty (Stevens) last year. So I think we’re versatile as a group. We just want to get a good person.”
As DeBoer alluded to, the Devils have shuffled the coaching deck over the last few years.
In 2010-11, John MacLean and Jacques Lemaire split head coaching duties (the latter replaced the former midway through the year) while Oates and Robinson served as assistants.
In 2011-12, DeBoer took over as head coach while Robinson and Oates were joined by Dave Barr.
In 2013, DeBoer lost Robinson (to San Jose) and Oates (to Washington), replacing them with Shaw (now the head coach and GM of USHL Dubuque) and Stevens.
Several candidate names have been kicked about for the job opening. Longtime Devil Sergei Brylin is one, even though he has no coaching experience. Brylin is currently working with New Jersey in a special assignment/scout role.
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 1
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 7
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 9
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 60
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)