Jul 16, 2013, 11:43 AM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes moved a step closer to icing a three-Staal lineup next season, agreeing to terms with Jared Staal on a one-year, two-way deal worth $550,000 at the NHL level.
Staal, 22, made his NHL debut last season — along with brothers Eric and Jordan — skating in a pair of games with Carolina after his best season at the AHL level.
With Charlotte, Staal scored seven points in 52 games, setting career highs in goals and appearances.
The former 49th overall selection (Phoenix, 2008 NHL Entry Draft) should have a decent shot of cracking the Carolina roster next season.
The ‘Canes currently have 10 NHL forwards under contract, with and 11th — ’13 first-rounder Elias Lindholm — expected to make the team.
Staal doesn’t have the offensive prowess of his brothers — Eric is a former 100-point man; Jordan’s a five-time 20-goal scorer — but does have the trademark Staal size.
Jared checks in at 6-foot-4, 200 pounds, similar to Eric (6-4, 205) and Jordan (6-4, 220).
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 1
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)