Jul 16, 2013, 11:43 AM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes moved a step closer to icing a three-Staal lineup next season, agreeing to terms with Jared Staal on a one-year, two-way deal worth $550,000 at the NHL level.
Staal, 22, made his NHL debut last season — along with brothers Eric and Jordan — skating in a pair of games with Carolina after his best season at the AHL level.
With Charlotte, Staal scored seven points in 52 games, setting career highs in goals and appearances.
The former 49th overall selection (Phoenix, 2008 NHL Entry Draft) should have a decent shot of cracking the Carolina roster next season.
The ‘Canes currently have 10 NHL forwards under contract, with and 11th — ’13 first-rounder Elias Lindholm — expected to make the team.
Staal doesn’t have the offensive prowess of his brothers — Eric is a former 100-point man; Jordan’s a five-time 20-goal scorer — but does have the trademark Staal size.
Jared checks in at 6-foot-4, 200 pounds, similar to Eric (6-4, 205) and Jordan (6-4, 220).
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)