Jul 16, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes moved a step closer to icing a three-Staal lineup next season, agreeing to terms with Jared Staal on a one-year, two-way deal worth $550,000 at the NHL level.
Staal, 22, made his NHL debut last season — along with brothers Eric and Jordan — skating in a pair of games with Carolina after his best season at the AHL level.
With Charlotte, Staal scored seven points in 52 games, setting career highs in goals and appearances.
The former 49th overall selection (Phoenix, 2008 NHL Entry Draft) should have a decent shot of cracking the Carolina roster next season.
The ‘Canes currently have 10 NHL forwards under contract, with and 11th — ’13 first-rounder Elias Lindholm — expected to make the team.
Staal doesn’t have the offensive prowess of his brothers — Eric is a former 100-point man; Jordan’s a five-time 20-goal scorer — but does have the trademark Staal size.
Jared checks in at 6-foot-4, 200 pounds, similar to Eric (6-4, 205) and Jordan (6-4, 220).
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 2
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)