Jul 16, 2013, 11:43 AM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes moved a step closer to icing a three-Staal lineup next season, agreeing to terms with Jared Staal on a one-year, two-way deal worth $550,000 at the NHL level.
Staal, 22, made his NHL debut last season — along with brothers Eric and Jordan — skating in a pair of games with Carolina after his best season at the AHL level.
With Charlotte, Staal scored seven points in 52 games, setting career highs in goals and appearances.
The former 49th overall selection (Phoenix, 2008 NHL Entry Draft) should have a decent shot of cracking the Carolina roster next season.
The ‘Canes currently have 10 NHL forwards under contract, with and 11th — ’13 first-rounder Elias Lindholm — expected to make the team.
Staal doesn’t have the offensive prowess of his brothers — Eric is a former 100-point man; Jordan’s a five-time 20-goal scorer — but does have the trademark Staal size.
Jared checks in at 6-foot-4, 200 pounds, similar to Eric (6-4, 205) and Jordan (6-4, 220).
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 67
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)