Jul 15, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Wings general manager Ken Holland has confirmed the news.
Smith, 24, had zero goals and eight assists in 34 regular-season games this past season. He then added a pair of goals and three assists in 14 playoff contests while averaging 19:08 of ice time.
The Wings drafted Smith 27th overall in 2007 and have slowly brought him along, as they tend to do with their prospects.
Smith was the only Wings player to file for arbitration; however, the club still has restricted free agents Joakim Andersson and Gustav Nyquist to sign.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)