Jul 15, 2013, 3:52 PM EST
Wings general manager Ken Holland has confirmed the news.
Smith, 24, had zero goals and eight assists in 34 regular-season games this past season. He then added a pair of goals and three assists in 14 playoff contests while averaging 19:08 of ice time.
The Wings drafted Smith 27th overall in 2007 and have slowly brought him along, as they tend to do with their prospects.
Smith was the only Wings player to file for arbitration; however, the club still has restricted free agents Joakim Andersson and Gustav Nyquist to sign.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 7
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 9
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 8
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)