Jul 15, 2013, 3:52 PM EST
Wings general manager Ken Holland has confirmed the news.
Smith, 24, had zero goals and eight assists in 34 regular-season games this past season. He then added a pair of goals and three assists in 14 playoff contests while averaging 19:08 of ice time.
The Wings drafted Smith 27th overall in 2007 and have slowly brought him along, as they tend to do with their prospects.
Smith was the only Wings player to file for arbitration; however, the club still has restricted free agents Joakim Andersson and Gustav Nyquist to sign.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 0
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 20
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)