Jul 15, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Wings general manager Ken Holland has confirmed the news.
Smith, 24, had zero goals and eight assists in 34 regular-season games this past season. He then added a pair of goals and three assists in 14 playoff contests while averaging 19:08 of ice time.
The Wings drafted Smith 27th overall in 2007 and have slowly brought him along, as they tend to do with their prospects.
Smith was the only Wings player to file for arbitration; however, the club still has restricted free agents Joakim Andersson and Gustav Nyquist to sign.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)