Jul 15, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Wings general manager Ken Holland has confirmed the news.
Smith, 24, had zero goals and eight assists in 34 regular-season games this past season. He then added a pair of goals and three assists in 14 playoff contests while averaging 19:08 of ice time.
The Wings drafted Smith 27th overall in 2007 and have slowly brought him along, as they tend to do with their prospects.
Smith was the only Wings player to file for arbitration; however, the club still has restricted free agents Joakim Andersson and Gustav Nyquist to sign.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)