Jul 15, 2013, 12:20 PM EST
Assuming Canucks general manager Mike Gillis doesn’t actually need to convince Roberto Luongo to report to training camp, the battle for the backup job in Vancouver appears to be between a pair of young Swedish goalies, Eddie Lack and newly signed Joacim Eriksson.
Eriksson was in town last week for prospects camp, where he expressed his excitement for the opportunity.
“I hope the better goalie is going to play because I want to be as high up as possible,” he said, per The Province.
If Eriksson can perform like he did last season in Sweden, he should have a decent chance to stick with the Canucks. The 23-year-old went 21-9-0 with a 1.67 GAA and .931 save percentage while playing for Skelleftea of Sweden’s Elitserien in 2012-13. He then recorded a 1.06 GAA and .952 save percentage in helping Skelleftea win the Elitserien Championship.
Where he might be at a slight disadvantage is his contract, which is a two-way deal that pays him $925,000 in the NHL and $70,000 in the AHL.
Lack, on the other hand, will make $850,000 regardless of where he plays.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 43
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (44)