Jul 15, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
Assuming Canucks general manager Mike Gillis doesn’t actually need to convince Roberto Luongo to report to training camp, the battle for the backup job in Vancouver appears to be between a pair of young Swedish goalies, Eddie Lack and newly signed Joacim Eriksson.
Eriksson was in town last week for prospects camp, where he expressed his excitement for the opportunity.
“I hope the better goalie is going to play because I want to be as high up as possible,” he said, per The Province.
If Eriksson can perform like he did last season in Sweden, he should have a decent chance to stick with the Canucks. The 23-year-old went 21-9-0 with a 1.67 GAA and .931 save percentage while playing for Skelleftea of Sweden’s Elitserien in 2012-13. He then recorded a 1.06 GAA and .952 save percentage in helping Skelleftea win the Elitserien Championship.
Where he might be at a slight disadvantage is his contract, which is a two-way deal that pays him $925,000 in the NHL and $70,000 in the AHL.
Lack, on the other hand, will make $850,000 regardless of where he plays.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 2
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 9
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)