Jul 15, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
Assuming Canucks general manager Mike Gillis doesn’t actually need to convince Roberto Luongo to report to training camp, the battle for the backup job in Vancouver appears to be between a pair of young Swedish goalies, Eddie Lack and newly signed Joacim Eriksson.
Eriksson was in town last week for prospects camp, where he expressed his excitement for the opportunity.
“I hope the better goalie is going to play because I want to be as high up as possible,” he said, per The Province.
If Eriksson can perform like he did last season in Sweden, he should have a decent chance to stick with the Canucks. The 23-year-old went 21-9-0 with a 1.67 GAA and .931 save percentage while playing for Skelleftea of Sweden’s Elitserien in 2012-13. He then recorded a 1.06 GAA and .952 save percentage in helping Skelleftea win the Elitserien Championship.
Where he might be at a slight disadvantage is his contract, which is a two-way deal that pays him $925,000 in the NHL and $70,000 in the AHL.
Lack, on the other hand, will make $850,000 regardless of where he plays.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 33
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)