Jul 15, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
Assuming Canucks general manager Mike Gillis doesn’t actually need to convince Roberto Luongo to report to training camp, the battle for the backup job in Vancouver appears to be between a pair of young Swedish goalies, Eddie Lack and newly signed Joacim Eriksson.
Eriksson was in town last week for prospects camp, where he expressed his excitement for the opportunity.
“I hope the better goalie is going to play because I want to be as high up as possible,” he said, per The Province.
If Eriksson can perform like he did last season in Sweden, he should have a decent chance to stick with the Canucks. The 23-year-old went 21-9-0 with a 1.67 GAA and .931 save percentage while playing for Skelleftea of Sweden’s Elitserien in 2012-13. He then recorded a 1.06 GAA and .952 save percentage in helping Skelleftea win the Elitserien Championship.
Where he might be at a slight disadvantage is his contract, which is a two-way deal that pays him $925,000 in the NHL and $70,000 in the AHL.
Lack, on the other hand, will make $850,000 regardless of where he plays.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 5
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 53
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 6
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 45
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)