Jul 15, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
Back in March, it was reported that 25-year-old Canadiens forward Blake Geoffrion had retired after suffering a serious head injury while playing for AHL Hamilton in November.
That report was quickly refuted, with Geoffrion’s dad saying his son was only considering retiring.
But today, Geoffion made it official.
“After suffering an injury in November and taking time to recover and reflect, I have decided to step away from the game of hockey for the time being,” he said in a release. “I would like to thank Geoff Molson, Marc Bergevin, the entire Montreal Canadiens organization as well as the Hamilton Bulldogs organization for everything they have done for me. They have been unwavering in their support, professionalism and kindness. I cannot thank them enough.”
Geoffrion required immediate surgery for a depressed skull fracture that he sustained on a hit (video) from Jean-Philippe Cote of the Syracuse Crunch.
Drafted 56th overall by Nashville in 2006, Geoffrion was a star with the University of Wisconsin and was the Hobey Baker winner in 2010.
He was also a fourth-generation Hab, as the son of former Canadien Danny Geoffrion, the grandson of Hall of Famer Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion and the great-grandson of another Hall of Famer, Howie Morenz.
The fact Geoffrion said he was stepping away from hockey “for the time being” seems to leave the door open for a return down the line. Hopefully he gets to the point, health-wise, where he can consider it.
“I love the game of hockey more than anything and this decision tears me up inside,” Geoffrion said in March, “but we are talking about my brain. Not a knee or a shoulder. I want to have a family, have kids, play with them and [have] a strong quality of life for another 60 or 70 years.”
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 3
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 5
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 16
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9