Jul 15, 2013, 4:53 PM EST
Philadelphia Flyers fans finally got their wish on Monday: Ron Hextall is back.
OK, he won’t be making slick passes, nasty slashes, dramatic saves and naked interviews as the team’s goalie, but savvy fans should still be intrigued that he’s accepted an assistant GM gig. The team notes that he’ll begin on August 1.
Without context, the decision might seem like a lateral move in Hextall’s career as an executive. He’s been an assistant GM for the Los Angeles Kings since 2005-06, helping them build one of the best team structures in the NHL. (The Kings wished Hextall good luck, for what it’s worth.)
While the Flyers haven’t said as much, there’s reason to believe that Hextall, 49, could be groomed to eventually take over the GM role for current general manager Paul Holmgren.
Few would deny that Holmgren’s had some struggles, as two expensive buyouts and various dramatic organizational 180′s can attest. Holmgren’s been in the GM role since 2006-07, so one must wonder if the franchise is looking toward the future with this move.
Even in a vacuum, it’s a nice move for the Flyers, especially if Hextall can help them improve a farm system that’s ranked second-worst in the league (according to Hockey Prospectus).
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)