Jul 15, 2013, 8:06 PM EDT
The 21-year-old made a surprise visit at Jets development camp on Monday, acting as a “guest coach” of sorts.
“I’m doing my Claude Noel impression,” Kane joked, as he pulled out his whistle. “I didn’t know how (the ankle) was going to respond, even from putting my skate on. I was pleasantly surprised by how it felt out there. But it’s still a long way to go.”
Kane said that he feels ahead of schedule regarding his recovery. It’s been about a month since he went under the knife, with the estimated window of recovery being between six and eight weeks. He said he expects to be ready for training camp in September.
Even so, he insists that he’s being careful about it. After all, have you ever heard of nerve release surgery before hearing about Kane’s procedure?
“In my mind, we’re ahead of schedule, but we’ve got to really watch how we go about these next couple of weeks,” Kane said. “It’s a very rare injury from what I’ve been told by the doctor. They don’t see it that often, so it’s new to them, as well as it is to me,” said Kane.
” … As long as I don’t feel any pain or anything, I can keep going.”
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 30
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 14
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54