Jul 15, 2013, 8:06 PM EST
The 21-year-old made a surprise visit at Jets development camp on Monday, acting as a “guest coach” of sorts.
“I’m doing my Claude Noel impression,” Kane joked, as he pulled out his whistle. “I didn’t know how (the ankle) was going to respond, even from putting my skate on. I was pleasantly surprised by how it felt out there. But it’s still a long way to go.”
Kane said that he feels ahead of schedule regarding his recovery. It’s been about a month since he went under the knife, with the estimated window of recovery being between six and eight weeks. He said he expects to be ready for training camp in September.
Even so, he insists that he’s being careful about it. After all, have you ever heard of nerve release surgery before hearing about Kane’s procedure?
“In my mind, we’re ahead of schedule, but we’ve got to really watch how we go about these next couple of weeks,” Kane said. “It’s a very rare injury from what I’ve been told by the doctor. They don’t see it that often, so it’s new to them, as well as it is to me,” said Kane.
” … As long as I don’t feel any pain or anything, I can keep going.”
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)