Jul 15, 2013, 8:06 PM EDT
The 21-year-old made a surprise visit at Jets development camp on Monday, acting as a “guest coach” of sorts.
“I’m doing my Claude Noel impression,” Kane joked, as he pulled out his whistle. “I didn’t know how (the ankle) was going to respond, even from putting my skate on. I was pleasantly surprised by how it felt out there. But it’s still a long way to go.”
Kane said that he feels ahead of schedule regarding his recovery. It’s been about a month since he went under the knife, with the estimated window of recovery being between six and eight weeks. He said he expects to be ready for training camp in September.
Even so, he insists that he’s being careful about it. After all, have you ever heard of nerve release surgery before hearing about Kane’s procedure?
“In my mind, we’re ahead of schedule, but we’ve got to really watch how we go about these next couple of weeks,” Kane said. “It’s a very rare injury from what I’ve been told by the doctor. They don’t see it that often, so it’s new to them, as well as it is to me,” said Kane.
” … As long as I don’t feel any pain or anything, I can keep going.”
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 9
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25