Jul 15, 2013, 8:06 PM EST
The 21-year-old made a surprise visit at Jets development camp on Monday, acting as a “guest coach” of sorts.
“I’m doing my Claude Noel impression,” Kane joked, as he pulled out his whistle. “I didn’t know how (the ankle) was going to respond, even from putting my skate on. I was pleasantly surprised by how it felt out there. But it’s still a long way to go.”
Kane said that he feels ahead of schedule regarding his recovery. It’s been about a month since he went under the knife, with the estimated window of recovery being between six and eight weeks. He said he expects to be ready for training camp in September.
Even so, he insists that he’s being careful about it. After all, have you ever heard of nerve release surgery before hearing about Kane’s procedure?
“In my mind, we’re ahead of schedule, but we’ve got to really watch how we go about these next couple of weeks,” Kane said. “It’s a very rare injury from what I’ve been told by the doctor. They don’t see it that often, so it’s new to them, as well as it is to me,” said Kane.
” … As long as I don’t feel any pain or anything, I can keep going.”
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5