Jul 15, 2013, 8:06 PM EDT
The 21-year-old made a surprise visit at Jets development camp on Monday, acting as a “guest coach” of sorts.
“I’m doing my Claude Noel impression,” Kane joked, as he pulled out his whistle. “I didn’t know how (the ankle) was going to respond, even from putting my skate on. I was pleasantly surprised by how it felt out there. But it’s still a long way to go.”
Kane said that he feels ahead of schedule regarding his recovery. It’s been about a month since he went under the knife, with the estimated window of recovery being between six and eight weeks. He said he expects to be ready for training camp in September.
Even so, he insists that he’s being careful about it. After all, have you ever heard of nerve release surgery before hearing about Kane’s procedure?
“In my mind, we’re ahead of schedule, but we’ve got to really watch how we go about these next couple of weeks,” Kane said. “It’s a very rare injury from what I’ve been told by the doctor. They don’t see it that often, so it’s new to them, as well as it is to me,” said Kane.
” … As long as I don’t feel any pain or anything, I can keep going.”
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 23
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)