Jul 15, 2013, 10:34 PM EST
The Boston Bruins decided to fire director of amateur scouting Wayne Smith sometime following the 2013 NHL Draft, CSNNE.com reports.
GM Peter Chiarelli provided the Hockey News’ Ken Campbell with a vague explanation for why he was canned.
“We wanted to freshen up our amateur scouting and shift things a little bit and we felt this was the way to do it,” Chiarelli said. “Wayne has done a good job and I’ll give him a good reference, but we wanted to inject some new life.”
Campbell finds the change a little strange.
It seems rather odd, given that Chiarelli admits that Smith is his good friend and is a very good scout. Their prospect list was solid, ranking them 12th among NHL organizations in THN’s Future Watch edition in 2013.
Then again, when you look at the list of players the Bruins have drafted since Smith took over the scouting department in 2007, it’s clear that the Bruins’ impressive work has mainly come from trades and free agent moves.
As Hockey Prospectus’ Corey Pronman points out, Tyler Seguin is the only NHL regular the team drafted from 2007-2010. It’s possible that more recent drafts could produce better results with the likes of Dougie Hamilton and Malcolm Subban in the mix, but first-rounders like Jordan Caron and Zach Hamill haven’t exactly worked out.
Either way, parting with Smith is another example of a Bruins franchise that is adapting on the fly, even amid substantial bigger picture success.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)