Jul 14, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
Detroit’s Darren Helm played in just one game last season thanks to a nagging back injury. As the offseason rolls on, he’s working on getting back into shape and still getting healthy by working out at prospect camp this week.
As Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press says, the Wings are hoping he can return to form to help solidify their situation at center.
If Helm recovers from his injury — which numerous specialists have said is not structural — then the depth chart down the middle is easy enough to pen. It’ll be Pavel Datsyuk, Stephen Weiss, Helm and Joakim Andersson.
Andersson is a restricted free agent the Wings are slowly working on getting re-signed. Meanwhile, Detroit’s overabundance of forwards is making things a bit difficult.
Detroit can have Andersson take Helm’s spot on the third line and have Cory Emmerton center the fourth line, but with 16 forwards to deal with someone’s got to go. Helm’s questionable status is forcing GM Ken Holland to hang tight and figure things out.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 0
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)