Jul 14, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
It seems as if this trend comes in threes. Williams points out that Meech is the third Jets player to leave Winnipeg for the KHL this summer – Alex Burmistrov joined Kazan and Mark Dekanich will play for Zagreb – and also the third Jet to play for Minsk. (Evander Kane and Tim Stapleton also suited up for that KHL squad.)
Meech, 29, never really made much of an impact in Winnipeg. He played just 18 games for the Jets (16 in 2013, two in 2011-12) after playing fairly regularly for the Detroit Red Wings. He managed a single assist in his 18 games with Winnipeg.
The Jets certainly have bigger fish to fry, though, as this post points out.
Still, one cannot help but wonder how much the honeymoon period will last in Winnipeg, as the team enters its third season with a roster that doesn’t look very formidable on paper.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)