Jul 14, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
It seems as if this trend comes in threes. Williams points out that Meech is the third Jets player to leave Winnipeg for the KHL this summer – Alex Burmistrov joined Kazan and Mark Dekanich will play for Zagreb – and also the third Jet to play for Minsk. (Evander Kane and Tim Stapleton also suited up for that KHL squad.)
Meech, 29, never really made much of an impact in Winnipeg. He played just 18 games for the Jets (16 in 2013, two in 2011-12) after playing fairly regularly for the Detroit Red Wings. He managed a single assist in his 18 games with Winnipeg.
The Jets certainly have bigger fish to fry, though, as this post points out.
Still, one cannot help but wonder how much the honeymoon period will last in Winnipeg, as the team enters its third season with a roster that doesn’t look very formidable on paper.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)