Jul 14, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
It seems as if this trend comes in threes. Williams points out that Meech is the third Jets player to leave Winnipeg for the KHL this summer - Alex Burmistrov joined Kazan and Mark Dekanich will play for Zagreb – and also the third Jet to play for Minsk. (Evander Kane and Tim Stapleton also suited up for that KHL squad.)
Meech, 29, never really made much of an impact in Winnipeg. He played just 18 games for the Jets (16 in 2013, two in 2011-12) after playing fairly regularly for the Detroit Red Wings. He managed a single assist in his 18 games with Winnipeg.
The Jets certainly have bigger fish to fry, though, as this post points out.
Still, one cannot help but wonder how much the honeymoon period will last in Winnipeg, as the team enters its third season with a roster that doesn’t look very formidable on paper.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)