Jul 14, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
Jaromir Jagr‘s time as a Boston Bruin is officially at an end.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli spoke with reporters today and confirmed the team is done with Jagr and looking to go with younger players to fill the roster on the wing. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty has the update.
“I was asked a couple of times about [Jagr], and we’re done for now,” said Chiarelli. “Obviously you want to develop your talent and bring them in and let them play. Sometimes there’s not room for them and sometimes you use them as chips in deals, but you always have to develop. To be in a position where they’re ready to play breathes new life into everybody.”
One thing the Bruins don’t have to worry about is bringing in new people. Tyler Seguin, Rich Peverley, Andrew Ference, Nathan Horton, Anton Khudobin, and Jagr are all off to new locations for next season.
With so many openings and not much going on via free agency (sorry Jarome Iginla), competition figures to be fierce in training camp amongst the youngsters.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 8
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 18
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 80
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (80)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)