Jul 14, 2013, 9:34 PM EST
Washington Capitals prospect Tom Wilson got a taste of the big time when he played three playoff games in 2013 – you may recall his broken skate incident – but it seems like the large forward is still something of a project.
Many believe that the team drafted him 16th overall in 2012 because of his 6-foot-4 frame, but even so, head coach Adam Oates expressed concern to the Washington Post that Wilson would rely on his size alone.
“Where he plays he’s such a big man, the one thing that we don’t want is for him to get in lazy habits because he dwarfs everybody over there [in the OHL],” Oates said. “I mentioned Troy Brouwer’s stick – he’s a big man like him and he’s figured it out — so just experiment with it and try to maximize a little bit more.”
While the 19-year-old’s size should still be an asset, there are plenty of big defensemen in the NHL, so Oates believes that Wilson needs to do more than bull his way through competition – whether he joins the big club full-time next season or not.
“It’s very difficult. Not trying to compare but a little bit like Eric Lindros, he was so much bigger than everybody in junior he was just cruising around out there,” Oates said. “Tom has that capability, although everyone’s getting a little bigger. We want to make sure he’s on track and any little habit that can help will be great.”
Nov 24, 2014, 7:34 PM EST
It could be challenging if the cap ceiling doesn’t rise much.
Nov 24, 2014, 7:07 PM EST
Calvin de Haan and Thomas Hickey are out, Matt Donovan’s in.
Nov 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
He’ll pester the Pittsburgh Penguins on NBCSN tonight.
Nov 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
A rematch of the 2013 Eastern Conference Final.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EST
Also, Brad Marchand’s off IR.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:11 PM EST
Another veteran d-man gets a look.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Combined cap hit? $1.76 million.
Combined points? 34.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:37 PM EST
Tonight on NBCSN.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:56 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 24, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
Yes, that picture is a hint.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:43 PM EST
Habs sit atop the NHL standings, yet face a bunch of questions.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:35 PM EST
Injured during Saturday’s win over Detroit.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Dustin Schwartz will replace Frederic Chabot.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:13 PM EST
There’s a headline I never expected to type.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:09 PM EST
Just his second NHL game of the season.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
Canucks rookie who models his game after Jonathan Toews has four points in his last two games.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:12 AM EST
Click for video of said “mistake.”
Nov 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Two-time Jack Adams winner coached Canada to Olympic gold in 2002.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:55 AM EST
The new Holmstrom?
Nov 24, 2014, 10:23 AM EST
The latter’s in response to Roman Polak’s injury.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)