Jul 13, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Dion Phaneuf‘s name has been mentioned as a player who could be dealt out of Toronto for the right offer. That might apply to most any player in the league, but a former Leafs assistant GM says the Edmonton Oilers may make a run at him.
Bill Watters, a former Leafs executive and currently a radio host in Toronto, told Bob Stauffer of Oilers Now the Oilers may be after the Maple Leafs captain. Jonathan Willis of the Edmonton Journal shares.
“Dion Phaneuf should be dispatched as soon as they possibly can and the story I hear is that Edmonton’s interested and if they are tell [general manager Craig MacTavish] to take him and have fun with him. I find him to be the most overrated, undernourished hockey player in the history of the NHL and whoever made him the captain of the Maple Leafs should have been fired six years ago.”
That doesn’t sound bitter at all. With that kind of endorsement, how could the Oilers resist pursuing him?
Truth here is unless the Oilers (or any team hoping to land Phaneuf) gets him signed to an extension, there won’t be much coming back in return. His contract expires after this season.
Nov 22, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
“Let the referees do their job, we’ll do our job.”
Nov 22, 2014, 6:31 PM EST
The St. Louis defender had an assist on the eventual winner.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
Conflicting ideas on whether it was a fight or not.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:27 PM EST
In the rain, too, apparently.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:55 PM EST
“They embarrassed us pretty good in their building.”
Nov 22, 2014, 3:29 PM EST
He’s out Saturday, for sure.
Nov 22, 2014, 2:50 PM EST
A fun way to mislead people about Cory Schneider’s workhorse run.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:55 PM EST
NHL makes it official.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Not a lot of good news in Edmonton.
Nov 22, 2014, 12:40 PM EST
“They know who is the man.”
Nov 22, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
Tough loss for Vancouver.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:07 AM EST
His goal got the biggest reaction in Columbus on Friday.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:20 AM EST
He’s been hot in the AHL lately.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
(Waits for “everything” jokes.)
Nov 22, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
Booed off the ice at the end of this game.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:52 PM EST
It was nice.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:29 PM EST
Going from bad to worse for Edmonton.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:51 PM EST
Lucic didn’t drop his gloves. Prout did. History between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EST
There’s a history between these two.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)