Jul 13, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Dion Phaneuf‘s name has been mentioned as a player who could be dealt out of Toronto for the right offer. That might apply to most any player in the league, but a former Leafs assistant GM says the Edmonton Oilers may make a run at him.
Bill Watters, a former Leafs executive and currently a radio host in Toronto, told Bob Stauffer of Oilers Now the Oilers may be after the Maple Leafs captain. Jonathan Willis of the Edmonton Journal shares.
“Dion Phaneuf should be dispatched as soon as they possibly can and the story I hear is that Edmonton’s interested and if they are tell [general manager Craig MacTavish] to take him and have fun with him. I find him to be the most overrated, undernourished hockey player in the history of the NHL and whoever made him the captain of the Maple Leafs should have been fired six years ago.”
That doesn’t sound bitter at all. With that kind of endorsement, how could the Oilers resist pursuing him?
Truth here is unless the Oilers (or any team hoping to land Phaneuf) gets him signed to an extension, there won’t be much coming back in return. His contract expires after this season.
Mar 5, 2015, 5:27 PM EST
Big forward who doesn’t mind dropping the gloves.
Mar 5, 2015, 4:06 PM EST
He recently called them the “best group I’ve had since ’09.”
Mar 5, 2015, 3:35 PM EST
Might get into coaching.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:59 PM EST
Nashville’s won just two of its last eight.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:12 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 5, 2015, 2:05 PM EST
“We only have 19 games left and we have to be winning and getting points.”
Mar 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:20 PM EST
Calgary takes on Boston tonight at TD Garden.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Huge blow to their slim playoff chances.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:33 PM EST
Will take the pre-game skate to determine if he can play.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:18 PM EST
That’d be Sens goalie Andrew Hammond.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
Following an incident against Washington on Mar. 1.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
Up to 107 points in just 40 games.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:29 AM EST
Florida takes on Dallas tonight as the fight for the playoffs continues.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 AM EST
May not be a good sign regarding Michael Latta.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
J.T. Brown is banged up.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 15
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)