Report: Fehr could return to baseball union

Jul 12, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT

Donald Fehr: Sidney Crosby AP

The NHLPA could once again be looking for a new chief if the following Yahoo! Sports report has any legs to it:

With the condition of cancer-stricken union chief Michael Weiner not improving, MLB Players Association officials have discussed the possibility of a return of his predecessor, NHLPA director Donald Fehr, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Fehr, who led the baseball union for 26 years through collusion cases and labor battles, including the infamous 1994 strike, ceded the union’s executive director position to Weiner in 2009. Whether Fehr would consider rejoining the union in a senior management role or as an adviser is unclear, and sources said Fehr has neither discussed a return nor has any inclination to leave the NHLPA.

The NHL’s new CBA will be in place for at least eight years, so even if the above turns out to be nothing but speculation, it’s worth wondering about Fehr’s future in hockey, a sport he says he came to appreciate during his time with the NHLPA, but was never a lifelong passion for him.

Fehr, 64, and the MLBPA declined comment when contacted by Yahoo! Sports.

Related: Fehr reportedly wants to address fighting

1. ibieiniid - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM

kinda misleading headline. makes it sound like it’s a mutual idea between Fehr and MLBPA. “MLB Players Association officials have discussed the possibility of a return of his predecessor” could simply mean that somebody in MLBPA said “hey, remember Donald? he’s qualified.”

• ibieiniid - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM

oh i did overlook the sub-caption though. says he hasn’t commented yet.

• 950003cups - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM

PLEASE GO!!!!! I HATE FEHR!!!

2. DonkeyStick - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Why can’t he go to the NBA? The only league I don’t watch

• ibieiniid - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM

man oh man the people on this site have short memories. Fehr was great for the MLB/PA, and until this lockout, he was fine for the NHL too.

• DED - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Was that sarcasm?

• ibieiniid - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:57 PM

not at all. any clue about his collusion case against MLB owners in the 80s? the level of player-protection he provided with the 95 strike? being a PA head isn’t about making fans… it’s about getting the players their fair share. you can hate him, but there’s plenty of former MLB’ers that LOVE him.

• DED - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Ok, so what exactly did he do for hockey between his arrival in 2010 and his rejection of the realignment plan on 1/6/12?

Can’t say that I’m a fan as he was at the helm of the MLBPA when they went on strike in 94. For me, that was the last straw in my being a fan of major league baseball.

• ibieiniid - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM

again, I think you’re missing my point. if his job is to protect what the players want, he does his job. now, he’d probably blow as a PR rep for the league, no doubt. but PA director, he’s got pretty nailed down.

• DED - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Ok, I see your point. He’s good at his job. But a direct result of doing his job well means pissing off the fans of whatever sport he’s involved in. And that doesn’t mean anything to him because the fans don’t matter. We don’t pay his salary; the players do.

The fans never matter in sports.

• ibieiniid - Jul 12, 2013 at 4:18 PM

i mean, they matter about as much as they should matter… half. you could argue that without the fans, there’s no leauge. but without the players and management, there’s no league either. they gotsta get paid to bring us the product that they do. you matter to the NHL the same exact way you, as a consumer/, do to ANY other business. thinking it should be anything more than that is naive on your part.

• ibieiniid - Jul 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM

also, i’m only telling you this because I think it’ll help you handle the next lockout mentally. wish i had that understanding before the last one. i was as angry as you until it ended and i looked at the big picture: moneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoney. no changing that

• DED - Jul 12, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Oh I get it that we’re all just consumers gobbling up a product. It doesn’t mean I have to like it, or either side for that matter.

Earlier this week I was arguing with Ranger fans (on the team’s fan site) about the business decisions I think management will make (trading Del Zotto for a draft pick to increase cap space). I got yelled at for wanting to get rid of Del Zotto. I never said I wanted him to go; I was just explaining a possible business decision that Sather could make. Most wouldn’t see it for that (one or two disagreed with me because they came to a different business conclusion); they let their passion for the team (and the game) drown out the fiscal realities.

My distaste for Fehr was my sports fan side voicing his disgust for the business end of sports. I can’t always dwell on the cold logic of business decisions. There’s no passion for the game there.

3. muckthefets23 - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Just leave sports all together already!!!

4. jacketsfan7 - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Please move back to baseball please move back to baseball!!!!

5. zetaone - Jul 12, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Am I insane or wasn’t he quoted as saying that he was going to retire once he had got the NHLPA a new CBA? Then we all had talks of who would make a great NHLPA president..

6. dlk75150 - Jul 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Good riddens! Take Bettman with you!

7. ironman721 - Jul 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Yeah he was great for MLB….Say good bye to another season/World Series if they take this bottom feeding trash bag back. But hopefully hockey has seen the last of him!

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches