Jul 12, 2013, 8:18 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins acquired a little more grit with the acquisition of Harry Zolnierczyk this off-season, and now they’ve shown that with a new contract for the rugged forward.
The Penguins re-signed Zolnierczyk to a one-year, two-way contract that is worth $550,000 at the NHL level, the club announced on Friday.
In 44 career NHL games, Zolnierczyk has three goals and seven points, to go along with 71 penalty minutes. In this lockout-shortened season, he appeared in seven games with the Philadelphia Flyers, the Pennsylvania rival of the Penguins.
On March 2, against the Ottawa Senators, he was kicked out of the game after being given a major penalty for charging, with just 1:26 of ice time under his belt.
So, he’s not in the Penguins organization for his scoring abilities.
Zolnierczyk originally joined the Flyers as an undrafted free agent. Oddly enough, his last regular season game for Philadelphia in 2013 was against the Penguins.
The Penguins actually saw him twice this past season – both times in Pittsburgh.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 24
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 23
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)