Jul 12, 2013, 4:18 PM EDT
Morgan Rielly’s goal is to be playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2013-14.
It’s a realistic objective for the 19-year-old defenseman, as there was a reason he was drafted fifth overall in 2012.
The problem facing Rielly and the Leafs is that, if he’s not quite good enough to crack the NHL, it’s back to the WHL to play against teenagers for the Moose Jaw Warriors. (The AHL isn’t an option because of the agreement between the NHL and CHL.)
Per the Canadian Press, Leafs director of player development Jim Hughes concedes it’s possible Rielly has “outgrown” junior hockey.
In 2012-13, Rielly had 54 points in 60 games for the Warriors. The team’s failure to qualify for the playoffs meant he was then able to join the AHL Marlies for 14 regular-season and eight playoff games. He only had two goals and two assists in those 22 games, but at least he got a sniff of professional hockey.
Hughes says “it’s going to be real dicey to see how this all unfolds” and knows the Leafs have to be careful with their prized prospect. The microscope is powerful in Toronto, and on-ice mistakes can be compounded by the sheer number of people that see and comment on them; just ask Luke Schenn.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)