Jul 12, 2013, 4:18 PM EST
Morgan Rielly’s goal is to be playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2013-14.
It’s a realistic objective for the 19-year-old defenseman, as there was a reason he was drafted fifth overall in 2012.
The problem facing Rielly and the Leafs is that, if he’s not quite good enough to crack the NHL, it’s back to the WHL to play against teenagers for the Moose Jaw Warriors. (The AHL isn’t an option because of the agreement between the NHL and CHL.)
Per the Canadian Press, Leafs director of player development Jim Hughes concedes it’s possible Rielly has “outgrown” junior hockey.
In 2012-13, Rielly had 54 points in 60 games for the Warriors. The team’s failure to qualify for the playoffs meant he was then able to join the AHL Marlies for 14 regular-season and eight playoff games. He only had two goals and two assists in those 22 games, but at least he got a sniff of professional hockey.
Hughes says “it’s going to be real dicey to see how this all unfolds” and knows the Leafs have to be careful with their prized prospect. The microscope is powerful in Toronto, and on-ice mistakes can be compounded by the sheer number of people that see and comment on them; just ask Luke Schenn.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 52
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (52)