Jul 12, 2013, 4:18 PM EDT
Morgan Rielly’s goal is to be playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2013-14.
It’s a realistic objective for the 19-year-old defenseman, as there was a reason he was drafted fifth overall in 2012.
The problem facing Rielly and the Leafs is that, if he’s not quite good enough to crack the NHL, it’s back to the WHL to play against teenagers for the Moose Jaw Warriors. (The AHL isn’t an option because of the agreement between the NHL and CHL.)
Per the Canadian Press, Leafs director of player development Jim Hughes concedes it’s possible Rielly has “outgrown” junior hockey.
In 2012-13, Rielly had 54 points in 60 games for the Warriors. The team’s failure to qualify for the playoffs meant he was then able to join the AHL Marlies for 14 regular-season and eight playoff games. He only had two goals and two assists in those 22 games, but at least he got a sniff of professional hockey.
Hughes says “it’s going to be real dicey to see how this all unfolds” and knows the Leafs have to be careful with their prized prospect. The microscope is powerful in Toronto, and on-ice mistakes can be compounded by the sheer number of people that see and comment on them; just ask Luke Schenn.
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning 0
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 30
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)