Jul 12, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks only have about $2.5 million left in cap space, but fortunately they are down to one significant restricted free agent: Marcus Kruger.
The Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in part thanks to their depth and Kruger played a meaningful part in that as the team’s fourth-line center. He was also one of the team’s main penalty killers, which is an area of their game that was a tremendous asset during the postseason.
The 23-year-old is coming off of his entry-level contract and agent J.P. Barry told CSN Chicago that both sides “have been negotiating daily in search of a two year bridge deal.”
Kruger is thrilled to be with the Blackhawks and hopes he’s able to continue to play for them.
“We’ll see if they want me to be here but I’m so glad I got the chance to play here with these guys and this organization,” Kruger said.
“Being a part of a winning team and everything like that, how that feeling was, it’ll help me in this career. You always want to win so badly. Now when you’ve done it, you just want to do it again. But now you know you can achieve it.”
He had four goals and 13 points in 47 games last season, which gives him 39 points in 125 career contests.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 7
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 16
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Pittsburgh releases Daniel Carcillo from tryout (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)