Jul 12, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks only have about $2.5 million left in cap space, but fortunately they are down to one significant restricted free agent: Marcus Kruger.
The Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in part thanks to their depth and Kruger played a meaningful part in that as the team’s fourth-line center. He was also one of the team’s main penalty killers, which is an area of their game that was a tremendous asset during the postseason.
The 23-year-old is coming off of his entry-level contract and agent J.P. Barry told CSN Chicago that both sides “have been negotiating daily in search of a two year bridge deal.”
Kruger is thrilled to be with the Blackhawks and hopes he’s able to continue to play for them.
“We’ll see if they want me to be here but I’m so glad I got the chance to play here with these guys and this organization,” Kruger said.
“Being a part of a winning team and everything like that, how that feeling was, it’ll help me in this career. You always want to win so badly. Now when you’ve done it, you just want to do it again. But now you know you can achieve it.”
He had four goals and 13 points in 47 games last season, which gives him 39 points in 125 career contests.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)