Jul 12, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks only have about $2.5 million left in cap space, but fortunately they are down to one significant restricted free agent: Marcus Kruger.
The Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in part thanks to their depth and Kruger played a meaningful part in that as the team’s fourth-line center. He was also one of the team’s main penalty killers, which is an area of their game that was a tremendous asset during the postseason.
The 23-year-old is coming off of his entry-level contract and agent J.P. Barry told CSN Chicago that both sides “have been negotiating daily in search of a two year bridge deal.”
Kruger is thrilled to be with the Blackhawks and hopes he’s able to continue to play for them.
“We’ll see if they want me to be here but I’m so glad I got the chance to play here with these guys and this organization,” Kruger said.
“Being a part of a winning team and everything like that, how that feeling was, it’ll help me in this career. You always want to win so badly. Now when you’ve done it, you just want to do it again. But now you know you can achieve it.”
He had four goals and 13 points in 47 games last season, which gives him 39 points in 125 career contests.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 19
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 42
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)