Jul 12, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks only have about $2.5 million left in cap space, but fortunately they are down to one significant restricted free agent: Marcus Kruger.
The Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in part thanks to their depth and Kruger played a meaningful part in that as the team’s fourth-line center. He was also one of the team’s main penalty killers, which is an area of their game that was a tremendous asset during the postseason.
The 23-year-old is coming off of his entry-level contract and agent J.P. Barry told CSN Chicago that both sides “have been negotiating daily in search of a two year bridge deal.”
Kruger is thrilled to be with the Blackhawks and hopes he’s able to continue to play for them.
“We’ll see if they want me to be here but I’m so glad I got the chance to play here with these guys and this organization,” Kruger said.
“Being a part of a winning team and everything like that, how that feeling was, it’ll help me in this career. You always want to win so badly. Now when you’ve done it, you just want to do it again. But now you know you can achieve it.”
He had four goals and 13 points in 47 games last season, which gives him 39 points in 125 career contests.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)