Jul 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
Whether Joel Quelleville was ever in real danger of losing his job last year was never quite clear to us. There were plenty of rumors that the Blackhawks would go in a different direction following back-to-back first-round exits, but in the end, it was still Quenneville behind the bench last month when Chicago won its second Stanley Cup in four years.
Unlike last offseason, the talk this time around involves a contract extension.
“We’re going to work on that,” said ‘Hawks general manager Stan Bowman, per CSN Chicago. “It’s always good to get those things done in the summertime and clear the deck and focus on hockey in the fall.”
Quenneville has one year left on his current deal.
“He’s done a tremendous job leading the team, and there’s no one else I’d rather have coaching this group,” said Bowman. “He’s demonstrated a great ability to understand what it takes to win. He’s got a proven track record, and players respond to him. We’re excited about that and hope to continue it.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)