Jul 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
Whether Joel Quelleville was ever in real danger of losing his job last year was never quite clear to us. There were plenty of rumors that the Blackhawks would go in a different direction following back-to-back first-round exits, but in the end, it was still Quenneville behind the bench last month when Chicago won its second Stanley Cup in four years.
Unlike last offseason, the talk this time around involves a contract extension.
“We’re going to work on that,” said ‘Hawks general manager Stan Bowman, per CSN Chicago. “It’s always good to get those things done in the summertime and clear the deck and focus on hockey in the fall.”
Quenneville has one year left on his current deal.
“He’s done a tremendous job leading the team, and there’s no one else I’d rather have coaching this group,” said Bowman. “He’s demonstrated a great ability to understand what it takes to win. He’s got a proven track record, and players respond to him. We’re excited about that and hope to continue it.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)