Jul 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
Whether Joel Quelleville was ever in real danger of losing his job last year was never quite clear to us. There were plenty of rumors that the Blackhawks would go in a different direction following back-to-back first-round exits, but in the end, it was still Quenneville behind the bench last month when Chicago won its second Stanley Cup in four years.
Unlike last offseason, the talk this time around involves a contract extension.
“We’re going to work on that,” said ‘Hawks general manager Stan Bowman, per CSN Chicago. “It’s always good to get those things done in the summertime and clear the deck and focus on hockey in the fall.”
Quenneville has one year left on his current deal.
“He’s done a tremendous job leading the team, and there’s no one else I’d rather have coaching this group,” said Bowman. “He’s demonstrated a great ability to understand what it takes to win. He’s got a proven track record, and players respond to him. We’re excited about that and hope to continue it.”
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)