Jul 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Whether Joel Quelleville was ever in real danger of losing his job last year was never quite clear to us. There were plenty of rumors that the Blackhawks would go in a different direction following back-to-back first-round exits, but in the end, it was still Quenneville behind the bench last month when Chicago won its second Stanley Cup in four years.
Unlike last offseason, the talk this time around involves a contract extension.
“We’re going to work on that,” said ‘Hawks general manager Stan Bowman, per CSN Chicago. “It’s always good to get those things done in the summertime and clear the deck and focus on hockey in the fall.”
Quenneville has one year left on his current deal.
“He’s done a tremendous job leading the team, and there’s no one else I’d rather have coaching this group,” said Bowman. “He’s demonstrated a great ability to understand what it takes to win. He’s got a proven track record, and players respond to him. We’re excited about that and hope to continue it.”
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 16
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)