Jul 12, 2013, 7:22 PM EST
After keeping a low profile about the future of his hockey career, Roberto Luongo has spoken. Finally. Maybe.
The Vancouver Canucks goalie who was not traded at the draft – you may recall Cory Schneider was dealt to New Jersey for the ninth overall pick – had not spoken about anything hockey related in quite some time, prompting many in the Vancouver media and Canucks fan base to speculate as to why and when Luongo would break his silence.
He had conducted interviews about poker, a game he loves, having just competed in the World Series of Poker.
On Friday, we may have gotten an answer as to other, more lucrative job, and that’s hockey.
A tweet appeared on the famous @strombone1 Twitter account, which is widely believed to be Luongo’s humorous social media tool, referencing Canucks general manager Mike Gillis.
Gillis is expected to meet with Luongo down in Florida in the near future. The two will likely talk about Luongo’s options with the Canucks, and whether he’ll return to play goal in Vancouver next season.
“Roberto and I have a very good relationship,” Gillis said earlier this week. “We’ll be able to talk about all the issues. I’ll know more when I see him.”
Luongo is currently in a 12-year, $64 million contract with the Canucks.
He was at the center of trade speculation for more than a year, ever since Schneider took over the starting goaltender duties from Luongo during the first round of the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs.
But the contract has proved impossible to move, despite Gillis’ previous belief he could make a deal with a goalie locked to long-term deal.
Even at his season-ending press conference, Gillis said it was “unlikely” Luongo is back with the Canucks for next season.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
He’s been out with a lower-body injury.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Oilers coach wants to use “speed” and “smarts” tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
Oh, and Anders Nilsson sent back to AHL.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:23 PM EST
That didn’t take long.
Dec 12, 2013, 3:53 PM EST
Plus, the Rangers have issues.
Dec 12, 2013, 3:31 PM EST
Coyotes hoping “it’s not long, long-term.”
Dec 12, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
Activated off IR, will face the Flames in Calgary tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:57 PM EST
Helped the Flames win their first and only Stanley Cup in 1989.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
Game goes March 1 (on NBC).
Dec 12, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
News and notes from the blue paint…
Dec 12, 2013, 2:32 PM EST
Will get an MRI tomorrow.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
“We want black and blue hockey.”
Dec 12, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
He broke in as a 19-year-old during the 2011-12 campaign.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:42 PM EST
Former Oilers draftee had been with AHL Adirondack.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 PM EST
Buffalo’s in Ottawa to play the Sens tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:37 PM EST
Dec 12, 2013, 12:15 PM EST
Assistant general manager John Weisbrod also relieved of duties.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
Montreal’s in town tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:53 AM EST
Club looking to snap a three-game winless streak.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:29 AM EST
File under “things that happen when a team is co-owned by fierce competitors.”
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 16
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)