Jul 12, 2013, 7:22 PM EST
After keeping a low profile about the future of his hockey career, Roberto Luongo has spoken. Finally. Maybe.
The Vancouver Canucks goalie who was not traded at the draft – you may recall Cory Schneider was dealt to New Jersey for the ninth overall pick – had not spoken about anything hockey related in quite some time, prompting many in the Vancouver media and Canucks fan base to speculate as to why and when Luongo would break his silence.
He had conducted interviews about poker, a game he loves, having just competed in the World Series of Poker.
On Friday, we may have gotten an answer as to other, more lucrative job, and that’s hockey.
A tweet appeared on the famous @strombone1 Twitter account, which is widely believed to be Luongo’s humorous social media tool, referencing Canucks general manager Mike Gillis.
Gillis is expected to meet with Luongo down in Florida in the near future. The two will likely talk about Luongo’s options with the Canucks, and whether he’ll return to play goal in Vancouver next season.
“Roberto and I have a very good relationship,” Gillis said earlier this week. “We’ll be able to talk about all the issues. I’ll know more when I see him.”
Luongo is currently in a 12-year, $64 million contract with the Canucks.
He was at the center of trade speculation for more than a year, ever since Schneider took over the starting goaltender duties from Luongo during the first round of the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs.
But the contract has proved impossible to move, despite Gillis’ previous belief he could make a deal with a goalie locked to long-term deal.
Even at his season-ending press conference, Gillis said it was “unlikely” Luongo is back with the Canucks for next season.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:56 AM EST
Incident occurred Tuesday night, on Stars defenseman Trevor Daley.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:55 AM EST
“Not the start I wanted or the team wanted, and I’ve got to be better than that.”
Mar 4, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
Anaheim hosts Montreal at Honda.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Both were viewed as candidates to be moved at the deadline, but neither got shipped out.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:36 AM EST
“We are very pleased and hope our fans will be, as well.”
Mar 4, 2015, 10:31 AM EST
He’s on his way up from AHL San Antonio.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:57 AM EST
It took him just 68 decisions.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:21 AM EST
The captain is still proud to be a Maple Leaf.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:49 AM EST
Erik Cole and Marek Zidlicky are set to debut while Henrik Zetterberg might return from a concussion.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:02 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Vancouver faces San Jose tonight.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 36
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)