Jul 12, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues are in a bit of an awkward situation. They have three NHL-caliber goaltenders in Jaroslav Halak, Brian Elliott, and Jake Allen. Going into the season with all three of them could lead to tension about a lack of playing time.
The biggest loser in all of this could be Halak. He has demonstrated that he is a capable starter, but he lost that gig in 2013 due in part to ongoing injury problems. Now he’s in a situation where it’s anyone’s guess how many starts he’ll get next season, regardless of his health.
All the same, Halak isn’t looking to be traded.
“I’m happy to be here,” Halak said, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I signed to play here for four years and I wanted to accomplish some goals when I came, and I haven’t done that. I still want to accomplish those goals.”
That might surprise some, given that there was a reported confrontation between Halak and Blues coach Ken Hitchcock. Halak expressed his frustration with his lack of playing time, which is exactly the issue that could reoccur in 2013-14.
When asked about it though, Halak downplayed the incident.
“I wasn’t upset or anything,” he said. “A coach and a player have those discussions all the time. If someone hears it, obviously, they can make a big story out of it. But I don’t think it was anything bad. I was frustrated, I wasn’t playing. But I was injured and … the whole season, the way it turned out, was just difficult.”
Halak added that the heated discussion “was nothing to make a big deal out of” and his relationship with his coach is fine.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)