Jul 12, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
For the rebuilding Calgary Flames, Johnny Gaudreau is a talented prospect that offers hope for the future. The diminutive 19-year-old forward has been a star at Boston College for the past two seasons, and that’s where he plans to stay for at least another year.
And that’s fine. For now.
The worry in Calgary is that he stays there all four years and opts to become a free agent, spurning the team that drafted him 104th overall in 2011.
Not surprisingly, the Flames were playing it cool.
“We’ve had enough conversations with Johnny and with his family and with his family advisor that I’m not concerned about (him refusing to sign),” general manager Jay Feaster said. “The big thing is that I think we’re getting to the point with Johnny where, clearly, it’s fine to go back there now and play a year with his brother. But from our perspective, and we’ll talk to him about it here, we’d like to see him here.”
As for Gaudreau, he understands the concern after Justin Schultz waited out the Anaheim Ducks before joining the Oilers as a free agent.
“That was a big deal,” he said. “Some players do it.”
But that’s not his plan — “I’m strictly going back to school to improve my game, not to wait out the years to try and sign with someone else.”
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 15
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 20
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 29
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)