Jul 11, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
For years, fans of arcade-style sports video games have been mostly left in the lurch. Almost every modern title focuses on simulating the dream of playing your favorite sport professionally and/or running your favorite team, rather than making basketball nets on fire and celebrating Bones Jackson.
If you were to name hockey’s version of Tecmo Bowl and NBA Jam, most people would point to EA Sports’ famous NHL ’94 as one of the all-time greats. With that beloved title’s 20th anniversary on the way, EA Sports unveiled a surprising announcement: their upcoming NHL 14 title will include “NHL 94 Anniversary Mode.”
Here’s the trailer, which includes a voice-over that straddles the line between humorous and grating:
That trailer actually prompts as many questions as it answers.
As usual, Puck Daddy’s Sean Leahy got on the case, revealing that the game will use NHL 14′s engine and feature certainly modernized upgrades. (You also won’t be able to make anyone’s head bleed, which must bum Vince Vaughn out.)
For some of us who had nerdy dreams about playing NHL 94 – or even a replica of the game, but with modern players – online, the tweaks could be a disappointment. Then again, they could make the experience more rewarding.
Either way, it’s a brilliant idea by EA, even if it won’t give us the last 20 years back.
Dec 19, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
St. Louis hosts Montreal tonight.
Dec 19, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
Expects a sellout on Dec. 27 versus San Jose.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:38 PM EST
Rostislav Klesla called up.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
Edmonton whipped Colorado 8-2 the last time the two teams met.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:24 PM EST
“You’ll see he’s a very good skating, smart, heady player.”
Dec 19, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Andrew Alberts will get another shot tonight in Dallas.
Dec 19, 2013, 1:21 PM EST
This after he played less than five minutes against Phoenix last game.
Dec 19, 2013, 1:03 PM EST
“Things are going well, let’s just let things happen,” said GM Dale Tallon.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:53 PM EST
“He’s a young player still, and sometimes you have those seasons.”
Dec 19, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
Flyers host Jackets.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Shakeup time in Detroit.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
Dec 19, 2013, 11:49 AM EST
He’ll face the Preds tonight.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:37 AM EST
Mathew Dumba and Jonathan Drouin will serve as alternates.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
He played less than five minutes against the Coyotes.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
The Vancouver Canucks have put him on unconditional waivers.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:06 AM EST
There was some controversy surrounding the goal.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:02 AM EST
Thursday’s collection of links.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:30 AM EST
Nine suspensions totaling 38 games, with more likely on the way.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:55 AM EST
If all goes well, he could be back on Dec. 27, according to Fletcher.
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 3
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 14
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 35
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 41
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 50
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 15
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)