Jul 11, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks are up against the cap ceiling and consequently, they might have used one of their compliance buyouts on Marty Havlat‘s six-year, $30 million contract if the option was available to them.
However, Havlat was ineligible because he needed to undergo surgery. As it turns out, that procedure will likely result in him starting the 2013-14 campaign on the long-term injured reserve list.
At this point it’s not clear if he’s played in his last game with the club. The 32-year-old forward still has two seasons left on his contract, but Sharks GM Doug Wilson was vague when asked if Havlat would play in another contest with San Jose.
“Marty Havlat had a pretty extensive procedure done, a bilateral pelvic reconstruction,” Wilson said. “He is an important player to us and we missed him when he wasn’t in there. There is no timeline for a return, so I don’t have an answer for that one.”
Havlat has had some great seasons, but injuries have plagued him throughout his career. He managed to participate in 40 regular season games in 2013, but scored just eight goals and 18 points. He was also limited to just two playoff matches due to a groin injury.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)