Jul 11, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
The San Jose Sharks are up against the cap ceiling and consequently, they might have used one of their compliance buyouts on Marty Havlat‘s six-year, $30 million contract if the option was available to them.
However, Havlat was ineligible because he needed to undergo surgery. As it turns out, that procedure will likely result in him starting the 2013-14 campaign on the long-term injured reserve list.
At this point it’s not clear if he’s played in his last game with the club. The 32-year-old forward still has two seasons left on his contract, but Sharks GM Doug Wilson was vague when asked if Havlat would play in another contest with San Jose.
“Marty Havlat had a pretty extensive procedure done, a bilateral pelvic reconstruction,” Wilson said. “He is an important player to us and we missed him when he wasn’t in there. There is no timeline for a return, so I don’t have an answer for that one.”
Havlat has had some great seasons, but injuries have plagued him throughout his career. He managed to participate in 40 regular season games in 2013, but scored just eight goals and 18 points. He was also limited to just two playoff matches due to a groin injury.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)