Jul 11, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks are up against the cap ceiling and consequently, they might have used one of their compliance buyouts on Marty Havlat‘s six-year, $30 million contract if the option was available to them.
However, Havlat was ineligible because he needed to undergo surgery. As it turns out, that procedure will likely result in him starting the 2013-14 campaign on the long-term injured reserve list.
At this point it’s not clear if he’s played in his last game with the club. The 32-year-old forward still has two seasons left on his contract, but Sharks GM Doug Wilson was vague when asked if Havlat would play in another contest with San Jose.
“Marty Havlat had a pretty extensive procedure done, a bilateral pelvic reconstruction,” Wilson said. “He is an important player to us and we missed him when he wasn’t in there. There is no timeline for a return, so I don’t have an answer for that one.”
Havlat has had some great seasons, but injuries have plagued him throughout his career. He managed to participate in 40 regular season games in 2013, but scored just eight goals and 18 points. He was also limited to just two playoff matches due to a groin injury.
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 7
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 2
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 19
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 9
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 60
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)