Jul 11, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks are up against the cap ceiling and consequently, they might have used one of their compliance buyouts on Marty Havlat‘s six-year, $30 million contract if the option was available to them.
However, Havlat was ineligible because he needed to undergo surgery. As it turns out, that procedure will likely result in him starting the 2013-14 campaign on the long-term injured reserve list.
At this point it’s not clear if he’s played in his last game with the club. The 32-year-old forward still has two seasons left on his contract, but Sharks GM Doug Wilson was vague when asked if Havlat would play in another contest with San Jose.
“Marty Havlat had a pretty extensive procedure done, a bilateral pelvic reconstruction,” Wilson said. “He is an important player to us and we missed him when he wasn’t in there. There is no timeline for a return, so I don’t have an answer for that one.”
Havlat has had some great seasons, but injuries have plagued him throughout his career. He managed to participate in 40 regular season games in 2013, but scored just eight goals and 18 points. He was also limited to just two playoff matches due to a groin injury.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)