Jul 11, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks are up against the cap ceiling and consequently, they might have used one of their compliance buyouts on Marty Havlat‘s six-year, $30 million contract if the option was available to them.
However, Havlat was ineligible because he needed to undergo surgery. As it turns out, that procedure will likely result in him starting the 2013-14 campaign on the long-term injured reserve list.
At this point it’s not clear if he’s played in his last game with the club. The 32-year-old forward still has two seasons left on his contract, but Sharks GM Doug Wilson was vague when asked if Havlat would play in another contest with San Jose.
“Marty Havlat had a pretty extensive procedure done, a bilateral pelvic reconstruction,” Wilson said. “He is an important player to us and we missed him when he wasn’t in there. There is no timeline for a return, so I don’t have an answer for that one.”
Havlat has had some great seasons, but injuries have plagued him throughout his career. He managed to participate in 40 regular season games in 2013, but scored just eight goals and 18 points. He was also limited to just two playoff matches due to a groin injury.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)