Jul 11, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
When the lockout ended and the 2013 campaign began, Dominic Moore didn’t join his fellow NHL players in returning. He needed to take a step back after his wife, Katie, tragically lost her battle with liver cancer on Jan. 7.
“It was just the timing of everything at that time, it just didn’t work out,” Moore told the Bergen Record. “I think everything came to a head. Unfortunately, it was an inopportune time in January, it was a very difficult decision to not play. At the same time, it was the right decision.”
He spent that time off regrouping and clearing his head in addition to lending his services to the Smashfest Charity Ping-Pong Challenge, which is linked to the Katie Moore Foundation.
Now he’s ready to return to the NHL and the team that originally drafted him back in 2000, the New York Rangers, had interest in inking him to a one-year deal.
The 32-year-old forward hasn’t played with the Rangers since the 2005-06 campaign and in that time he’s been around the NHL. He has been a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Minnesota Wild, Toronto Maple Leafs, Buffalo Sabres, Florida Panthers, Montreal Canadiens, Tampa Bay Lightning, and San Jose Sharks. After all that, he’s glad to be back where it all started.
“No doubt, coming back to New York is definitely what I wanted to happen, it was my first choice for a variety of reasons,” Moore said. “I’ve always been drawn back there. I’m grateful that it’s come to fruition.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)