Jul 11, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
We’re nearly a week into the unrestricted free agent market and Dustin Penner is still available. He’s far removed from his days as a clear top-six forward, but Penner still had two goals and 14 points in 33 games last season while averaging just 12:42 minutes of ice time.
He saw his playing time increase during the Kings 2013 playoff run and of course he’s been with the team through one of their best stretches in the franchise’s history.
So does Kings GM Dean Lombardi have any interest in bringing Penner back? Maybe, but it’s not likely to happen.
“It’s one of those cap things,” Lombardi explained to LA Kings Insider, “and I guess it’s safe to say I have a limited amount of cap space left, and there certainly isn’t going to be enough to – I mean his requirements. I talked to him the other day, and I just told him. I talked to his agent a couple days ago and [said] ‘This is where we’re at. I’ve only got X amount left.'”
The Kings have a little over $5 million in cap space left, according to Cap Geek, but they still have to re-sign several restricted free agents, including defensemen Alec Martinez and Jake Muzzin, as well as forwards Kyle Clifford, Jordan Nolan, and Trevor Lewis.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)