Jul 11, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
At one point, even Seguin’s mom felt the need to stick up for her 21-year-old son after he was traded to the Dallas Stars.
All of which combine to make Bruins coach Claude Julien’s comments about his former player seem kind of, well, boring.
“There were no issues between Tyler and I, and I’m not afraid to say it. I worked with him as a hockey player, and I dealt with him as a person,” said Julien, per CSN New England. “There were no issues that I know about. I thought we had a good relationship. I told him that I thought he really worked hard during the Finals.”
“Right now his job is about working harder and getting stronger in the gym, but everybody as a 21-year-old doesn’t have the maturity to be a professional whether it’s in the gym, or here or there. So you work with all of those young guys in different ways. Do different players have difference challenges? Absolutely.”
Seguin’s need to hit the gym may be the most interesting part of Julien’s remarks. Protecting the puck, winning battles, being effective in the tough areas of the ice — getting stronger will help in all those areas.
Whether Seguin is committed to doing the hard work remains to be seen.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)