Jul 11, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
At one point, even Seguin’s mom felt the need to stick up for her 21-year-old son after he was traded to the Dallas Stars.
All of which combine to make Bruins coach Claude Julien’s comments about his former player seem kind of, well, boring.
“There were no issues between Tyler and I, and I’m not afraid to say it. I worked with him as a hockey player, and I dealt with him as a person,” said Julien, per CSN New England. “There were no issues that I know about. I thought we had a good relationship. I told him that I thought he really worked hard during the Finals.”
“Right now his job is about working harder and getting stronger in the gym, but everybody as a 21-year-old doesn’t have the maturity to be a professional whether it’s in the gym, or here or there. So you work with all of those young guys in different ways. Do different players have difference challenges? Absolutely.”
Seguin’s need to hit the gym may be the most interesting part of Julien’s remarks. Protecting the puck, winning battles, being effective in the tough areas of the ice — getting stronger will help in all those areas.
Whether Seguin is committed to doing the hard work remains to be seen.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 71
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (87)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)