Jul 11, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
At one point, even Seguin’s mom felt the need to stick up for her 21-year-old son after he was traded to the Dallas Stars.
All of which combine to make Bruins coach Claude Julien’s comments about his former player seem kind of, well, boring.
“There were no issues between Tyler and I, and I’m not afraid to say it. I worked with him as a hockey player, and I dealt with him as a person,” said Julien, per CSN New England. “There were no issues that I know about. I thought we had a good relationship. I told him that I thought he really worked hard during the Finals.”
“Right now his job is about working harder and getting stronger in the gym, but everybody as a 21-year-old doesn’t have the maturity to be a professional whether it’s in the gym, or here or there. So you work with all of those young guys in different ways. Do different players have difference challenges? Absolutely.”
Seguin’s need to hit the gym may be the most interesting part of Julien’s remarks. Protecting the puck, winning battles, being effective in the tough areas of the ice — getting stronger will help in all those areas.
Whether Seguin is committed to doing the hard work remains to be seen.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 1
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 56
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)