Jul 11, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
At one point, even Seguin’s mom felt the need to stick up for her 21-year-old son after he was traded to the Dallas Stars.
All of which combine to make Bruins coach Claude Julien’s comments about his former player seem kind of, well, boring.
“There were no issues between Tyler and I, and I’m not afraid to say it. I worked with him as a hockey player, and I dealt with him as a person,” said Julien, per CSN New England. “There were no issues that I know about. I thought we had a good relationship. I told him that I thought he really worked hard during the Finals.”
“Right now his job is about working harder and getting stronger in the gym, but everybody as a 21-year-old doesn’t have the maturity to be a professional whether it’s in the gym, or here or there. So you work with all of those young guys in different ways. Do different players have difference challenges? Absolutely.”
Seguin’s need to hit the gym may be the most interesting part of Julien’s remarks. Protecting the puck, winning battles, being effective in the tough areas of the ice — getting stronger will help in all those areas.
Whether Seguin is committed to doing the hard work remains to be seen.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)