Jul 11, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
Now Svoboda is suggesting that list has expanded and Jagr is still in the process of evaluating his options. Previous reported indicated that Montreal is one of his potential destinations while the Buffalo Sabres are not. Now it looks like the Carolina Hurricanes might also be in the mix.
“What I can tell you is this: Carolina was on his list,” Svoboda said, according to NHL.com. “What the reason is, he knows better than me. He’s not 20. He knows where he wants to go and why. …
“There are a lot of reasons. Ron Francis is there, and when he looks at the roster and everything else, he feels that it’s a very good team.”
It’s not clear if the Hurricanes are interested in Jagr, but Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford recently indicated to 99.9 The Fan that there’s an “upper-tier” free agent he’s been looking to clear a roster spot for.
“There’s one guy that has said he will take less, and a one-year contract, to come to us because he likes our team and he’d like to play here,” Rutherford said. “And I’ve been continuing to work on ways to do that. We’re going to have to move a player out before we’re able to add a player. And at this point in time I haven’t been able to do it, but the player is still waiting patiently.”
At any rate, Jagr isn’t operating on anyone else’s timetable when it comes to picking his next destination. Svoboda said his client might sign soon, but he also left the door open to this process dragging into August.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)