Jul 11, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
Now Svoboda is suggesting that list has expanded and Jagr is still in the process of evaluating his options. Previous reported indicated that Montreal is one of his potential destinations while the Buffalo Sabres are not. Now it looks like the Carolina Hurricanes might also be in the mix.
“What I can tell you is this: Carolina was on his list,” Svoboda said, according to NHL.com. “What the reason is, he knows better than me. He’s not 20. He knows where he wants to go and why. …
“There are a lot of reasons. Ron Francis is there, and when he looks at the roster and everything else, he feels that it’s a very good team.”
It’s not clear if the Hurricanes are interested in Jagr, but Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford recently indicated to 99.9 The Fan that there’s an “upper-tier” free agent he’s been looking to clear a roster spot for.
“There’s one guy that has said he will take less, and a one-year contract, to come to us because he likes our team and he’d like to play here,” Rutherford said. “And I’ve been continuing to work on ways to do that. We’re going to have to move a player out before we’re able to add a player. And at this point in time I haven’t been able to do it, but the player is still waiting patiently.”
At any rate, Jagr isn’t operating on anyone else’s timetable when it comes to picking his next destination. Svoboda said his client might sign soon, but he also left the door open to this process dragging into August.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 0
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 27
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 20
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 19
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 8
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 42
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)