Jul 11, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
Now Svoboda is suggesting that list has expanded and Jagr is still in the process of evaluating his options. Previous reported indicated that Montreal is one of his potential destinations while the Buffalo Sabres are not. Now it looks like the Carolina Hurricanes might also be in the mix.
“What I can tell you is this: Carolina was on his list,” Svoboda said, according to NHL.com. “What the reason is, he knows better than me. He’s not 20. He knows where he wants to go and why. …
“There are a lot of reasons. Ron Francis is there, and when he looks at the roster and everything else, he feels that it’s a very good team.”
It’s not clear if the Hurricanes are interested in Jagr, but Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford recently indicated to 99.9 The Fan that there’s an “upper-tier” free agent he’s been looking to clear a roster spot for.
“There’s one guy that has said he will take less, and a one-year contract, to come to us because he likes our team and he’d like to play here,” Rutherford said. “And I’ve been continuing to work on ways to do that. We’re going to have to move a player out before we’re able to add a player. And at this point in time I haven’t been able to do it, but the player is still waiting patiently.”
At any rate, Jagr isn’t operating on anyone else’s timetable when it comes to picking his next destination. Svoboda said his client might sign soon, but he also left the door open to this process dragging into August.
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 4
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 36
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6