Jul 11, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
Now Svoboda is suggesting that list has expanded and Jagr is still in the process of evaluating his options. Previous reported indicated that Montreal is one of his potential destinations while the Buffalo Sabres are not. Now it looks like the Carolina Hurricanes might also be in the mix.
“What I can tell you is this: Carolina was on his list,” Svoboda said, according to NHL.com. “What the reason is, he knows better than me. He’s not 20. He knows where he wants to go and why. …
“There are a lot of reasons. Ron Francis is there, and when he looks at the roster and everything else, he feels that it’s a very good team.”
It’s not clear if the Hurricanes are interested in Jagr, but Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford recently indicated to 99.9 The Fan that there’s an “upper-tier” free agent he’s been looking to clear a roster spot for.
“There’s one guy that has said he will take less, and a one-year contract, to come to us because he likes our team and he’d like to play here,” Rutherford said. “And I’ve been continuing to work on ways to do that. We’re going to have to move a player out before we’re able to add a player. And at this point in time I haven’t been able to do it, but the player is still waiting patiently.”
At any rate, Jagr isn’t operating on anyone else’s timetable when it comes to picking his next destination. Svoboda said his client might sign soon, but he also left the door open to this process dragging into August.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 36
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)