Jul 11, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT
Darren Helm was limited to just one game last season due to a back injury, but he’s starting the summer on a high note.
“You guys haven’t seen one of these on my face in a while,” Helm said, referring to his smile. “I’m feeling good and can’t help but be excited.”
The 26-year-old forward understandably wasn’t as fast as he usually is, but he figures his signature speed will return in the coming weeks.
He set career highs in 2010-11 with 12 goals and 32 points in 82 games and recorded another 26 points in 68 contests in 2011-12. He’s also an above average player on the draw.
If Helm’s summer rehab goes well, then his return in 2013-14 would significantly improve the Red Wings’ third line.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 0
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 0
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 6
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 7
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)