Jul 11, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT
Darren Helm was limited to just one game last season due to a back injury, but he’s starting the summer on a high note.
“You guys haven’t seen one of these on my face in a while,” Helm said, referring to his smile. “I’m feeling good and can’t help but be excited.”
The 26-year-old forward understandably wasn’t as fast as he usually is, but he figures his signature speed will return in the coming weeks.
He set career highs in 2010-11 with 12 goals and 32 points in 82 games and recorded another 26 points in 68 contests in 2011-12. He’s also an above average player on the draw.
If Helm’s summer rehab goes well, then his return in 2013-14 would significantly improve the Red Wings’ third line.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 5
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 106
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 54
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63