Jul 11, 2013, 8:04 AM EST
Darren Helm was limited to just one game last season due to a back injury, but he’s starting the summer on a high note.
“You guys haven’t seen one of these on my face in a while,” Helm said, referring to his smile. “I’m feeling good and can’t help but be excited.”
The 26-year-old forward understandably wasn’t as fast as he usually is, but he figures his signature speed will return in the coming weeks.
He set career highs in 2010-11 with 12 goals and 32 points in 82 games and recorded another 26 points in 68 contests in 2011-12. He’s also an above average player on the draw.
If Helm’s summer rehab goes well, then his return in 2013-14 would significantly improve the Red Wings’ third line.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 24
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11