Jul 11, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT
Darren Helm was limited to just one game last season due to a back injury, but he’s starting the summer on a high note.
“You guys haven’t seen one of these on my face in a while,” Helm said, referring to his smile. “I’m feeling good and can’t help but be excited.”
The 26-year-old forward understandably wasn’t as fast as he usually is, but he figures his signature speed will return in the coming weeks.
He set career highs in 2010-11 with 12 goals and 32 points in 82 games and recorded another 26 points in 68 contests in 2011-12. He’s also an above average player on the draw.
If Helm’s summer rehab goes well, then his return in 2013-14 would significantly improve the Red Wings’ third line.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 8
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40