Jul 11, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
Marian Gaborik is getting ready to enter the last season of his five-year, $37.5 million contract, but the Blue Jackets aren’t scrambling to lock him up.
“We want to get more familiar with him, get to know him better,” Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen told the Columbus Dispatch. “Sure, we’re thinking about it already, but we’re going to let it go into the season, hope to see him score a lot of goals for us and then talk about getting him extended.”
The Blue Jackets made a big splash by acquiring Gaborik in April, but he’s coming off of a rough season where he scored 12 goals and 27 points in 47 games. The 31-year-old forward’s tenure with the New York Rangers was a mixed bag of impressive highs and frustrating lows.
Now the Columbus Blue Jackets are hoping Gaborik can be an offensive leader on a team that’s fighting to make the playoffs and earn their first postseason win as a franchise. If Gaborik impresses early on and it looks like he’ll be a big help towards that goal, then Kekalainen is likely to offer him a sizable contract extension.
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 11
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)