Jul 11, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
Marian Gaborik is getting ready to enter the last season of his five-year, $37.5 million contract, but the Blue Jackets aren’t scrambling to lock him up.
“We want to get more familiar with him, get to know him better,” Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen told the Columbus Dispatch. “Sure, we’re thinking about it already, but we’re going to let it go into the season, hope to see him score a lot of goals for us and then talk about getting him extended.”
The Blue Jackets made a big splash by acquiring Gaborik in April, but he’s coming off of a rough season where he scored 12 goals and 27 points in 47 games. The 31-year-old forward’s tenure with the New York Rangers was a mixed bag of impressive highs and frustrating lows.
Now the Columbus Blue Jackets are hoping Gaborik can be an offensive leader on a team that’s fighting to make the playoffs and earn their first postseason win as a franchise. If Gaborik impresses early on and it looks like he’ll be a big help towards that goal, then Kekalainen is likely to offer him a sizable contract extension.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)